Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how would you find administration papers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would you find administration papers?

in the will of an ancestor, it mentions a son owed him money from handling a different son's administration. 400 pounds, this is in 1828. i know the son died in london 1821, and was buried in essex. how would i find the details of the administration?

The admons are normally in the same place as Wills but even if you do find the admon it will probably only be one or two sheets of paper granting admon, just their names. Even today, there is no legal requirement to file details of the administration of an estate.

OC

Comment

thanx oc i realise there won't be much information, but i still have no idea where i should be looking. it does not appear on the national archives website.

Comment

it might be on ancestry kyle...
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

i didn't see anything julie. is it likely to be in the LMA do you think? the burial didn't say what part of london he died in, so i don't know where to look.

Comment

you will need to search around the time/yr of death..

would you like to put up the name and dod? I can have a look as well then. :smilee:
            Julie

Comment

name was james marshall shaw, d.1821

Comment

I can't see anything Kyle, sorry.
                Julie

Comment

You could try the death duty index on FMP.

Comment

i think i found it, in the canterbury prerogative court administrations in 1823.

jun 1823- james marsh shaw admin- george shaw. curiously it does not state where george was living, it does for every single entry i have looked at though. vol 1, folio 273.

so how do i get a copy?

Comment

£400 was a heck of a lot of money then, are you sure its £400?
                      Jess

Comment

it is definitively 400 pounds. the family had a lot of inherited wealth, the problem is, we don't know from who or where haha. we dont know the maiden name of james' mother, and we have no idea who the grandparents are. but we do have the will of the shaw great grandfather.

Comment

yes nearly $42,000 in today's money, and james was only 21 when he died. i don't know if this was the money from the entire estate, or just what was to be given to the father.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            i think i found it, in the canterbury prerogative court administrations in 1823.

jun 1823- james marsh shaw admin- george shaw. curiously it does not state where george was living, it does for every single entry i have looked at though. vol 1, folio 273.

so how do i get a copy?
                            Not sure, but I think it'll be at the National Archives, in which case you'll need to find a researcher to go in person.

Comment

Comment

thanx mary, i never could find anything for him on TNA, i guess i may have to look into a researcher.

Comment

I don't think admons are on the TNA website, only wills.

Comment

Kyle,

you could post a request on http://www.familytreeforum.com/forum...earch-Requests and see if any kind person is going to TNA and wouldnt mind doing a lookup for you.
                                    Julie

Comment

thanx julie, i'll have to look into a post for it.

Comment

Working...
                                      X