nicol family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nicol family

i am trying to trace a janet goudie nicol birth around 1870 may be from scotland i traced her married to a george prudhoe born 1862 from sunderland co/durham married in dec 1891 in stockon i belive she was a teacher any help with this is most gratefull thanks all

Originally posted by tyson View Post
    I am trying to trace a Janet Goudie NICOL birth around 1870 may be from Scotland I traced her married to a George PRUDHOE born 1862 from Sunderland Co Durham married in Dec 1891 in Stockon I belive she was a teacher any help with this is most gratefull thanks all
    Hello

(I hope you don't mind, but I've put in all the capital letters in my copy of your quote, because I find it much easier to read that way.)

NICOL does sound like a Scottish name. Have you found them in a census -that ought to give you her place of birth. if it is Scotland, then you'll probably have to use ScotlandsPeople to get the level of detail you'll want. Although it's a PAYG site, Scottish law is different from the law in England & Wales, and you can get uncertified copies of the main register entries for a significantly lower cost than a standard cert price.
    ... I hope you always go direct to buy your certificates: going via an agency generally means you pay an arm and a leg to get them to do what you could easily do for yourself.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

www.familysearch.org has a Janet Gowdie Nicol born 20th April 1860 in Hutchesontown, Glasgow to David Nicol and Helen Halbert Gowdie. The date does seem a bit out so I wondered if this could be an older sister of your Janet who died in infancy, perhaps. FamilySearch has indexes to Scottish Statutory Births for the period 1855-1875 but ideally you'd need to look at the original record on ScotlandsPeople which would give you a bit more detail.

Kirsty

P.S. The marriage record to George Prudhoe should show the name of Janet's father which may help to confirm that this is the right family.

Comment

Hi,
        There is a death index for a Janet G PRUDHOE and it has the date of birth as c 1860 - may be worth looking at other cenuses to find out which birth date is correct.
        I may be looking at the wrong person of course.
        To add - death cert in Darlington, Yorkshire, 1931
        2Q 10a 42
        Last edited by herky; 01-12-11, 17:59.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by MyAinFolk View Post
          www.familysearch.org has a Janet Gowdie Nicol born 20th April 1860 in Hutchesontown, Glasgow to David Nicol and Helen Halbert Gowdie. The date does seem a bit out so I wondered if this could be an older sister of your Janet who died in infancy, perhaps. FamilySearch has indexes to Scottish Statutory Births for the period 1855-1875 but ideally you'd need to look at the original record on ScotlandsPeople which would give you a bit more detail.

Kirsty

P.S. The marriage record to George Prudhoe should show the name of Janet's father which may help to confirm that this is the right family.
          There is a death index for a Janet G PRUDHOE and it has the date of birth as c 1860 - may be worth looking at other cenuses to find out which birth date is correct.
          I may be looking at the wrong person of course.

oops don't know why I have duplicated my post - what I was trying to say was that the 1860 date may be good in view of your information. Will look for other censuses.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Probate gives husband as George and date of death 12 June 1931 at Beech Villa, Maude St., Darlington
            herky

Comment

1881 census has Janet as Jessie Nicol (in Scotland Jean, Jane, Jessie, Janet are all interchangeable), a student in training college in Darlington, b Lanarkshire, Scotland, b c 1861

1871 - with mother and siblings in Stockton, again as Jessie - most of the children apart from the 2 youngest were b in Scotland.

So it looks like the date of birth is 1860 and not 1870 and that Kirsty's date from Family search could well be the one.
              Only way to be sure is to get the cert - 30 credits from Scotlands People would be enought to get Janet's birth and her parents marriage which would get you back another generation. 30 credits - £7. 1 credit for a page of index and 5 credits for a cert.
              Last edited by herky; 01-12-11, 18:21.
              herky

Comment

cristine thanks for your help i have not purchased a birth cer yet just trying to trace her for now ive got the ref no myainfolk thats the right janet because the name helen gowdie has been named by the family thanks for any and all help

Comment

yes herky she was also known as jessie all the info on your replies are correct thanks most gratefull

Comment

yes herky she was also known as jessie all the info on your replies are correct thanks most gratefull
                    Good to be able to look for someone and find them - not been having much luck lately!
                    I have added an edit to a previous post just in case you are unsure of the cost of certs at Scotlands People
                    herky

Comment

yes tell me the cost go up and up just sent for a cer for a birth ,hard work all of this some times but worth it ill try and find david and helen now thanks again

Comment

herky what is shown on 1871 census please for that family

Comment

herky what is shown on 1871 census please for that family
                          1871 census - Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4904; Folio: 78; Page: 3

Address is 4 ? Airton St., Stockton

Helen Nicol, head, b c 1830, Scotland, widow
                          James, b c 1854, Scotland, grocer
                          Charles G, b c 1856, Scotland ??? Clerk
                          Helen, b c 1858, Scotland
                          Jessie, b c 1861, Scotland
                          David, b c 1862, Stockton-on-Tees

to add - 1861 census - still in England has the father David living and listed as b c 1828, a wine merchant's bookkeeper - perhaps I will find him in 1851 in Scotland??
                          Margaret, b c 1864, Stockton
                          George Smith, bc 1850, Scotland, boarder
                          Adam Cunninham, b c 1841, Scotland, Boarder
                          Last edited by herky; 01-12-11, 19:03.
                          herky

Comment

Going for the full set !!!
                            1851 and the family are at 18 Ann St., Greenock, Renfrewshire.
                            David Nicol, head, b c 1828, Glasgow, ?? Greenock Railway ?? Clerk
                            Helen Halbert Gowdie, b c 1829, Kirkoswald, Ayrshire
                            Helen Halbert Gowdie Nicol, 9 months
                            herky

Comment

thanks again herky for all your help and time i am most gratefull

Comment

Working...
                              X