Family History Memorabilia forum .. your thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family History Memorabilia forum .. your thoughts please

Following up on a recent suggestion received from members, we created a new forum for Family History Memorabilia

We are now reading comments that threads posted on the new forum are going unnoticed and the previous support received for such threads is just not happening.

We felt the idea for the new forum was a good one (we wouldn't have created it otherwise!) so the question is how do we get members to notice what has been added to it.

We all have different ways of navigating FTF. Some members may log in and only view one or two forums. Others may log in and do a quick review of all forums. Some restrict their navigation to the Community Boards, others to the Research section. Some used the "subscribed threads" option.

If you use any of these methods then it is inevitable you are going to miss something!

One suggestion to overcome this problem is that members use the NEW POSTS tab on the navigation bar. You can restrict your searches to RESEARCH posts if you are not interested in COMMUNITY posts, equally you can restrict searches to COMMUNITY if you are not interested in RESEARCH. You can choose ALL NEW POSTS which combines both RESEARCH and COMMUNITY. By using this sort of access to new postings, it should mean that you will not miss anything which could potentially be of interest to you. Why not give it a try to see if it helps?

If you have any other suggestions of how we can help in making things more obvious or easier to search then please don't hesitate to say!
    Elaine

I am hesistating to post here because it is probably just me being dense as usual but I wonder if the title has anything to do with it Elaine?
    I assumed that it was people telling about the items they have found to do with THEIR family history. After a quick look (sorry, haven't much time this morning) at your link, do I gather that it is people offering memorabilia that they have come across thatmight be of interest to someone else? If so, I was trying to think what would have attracted my attention and I wondered perhaps if it had the word Offers added after Memorabilia?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oddly, I appear to have read most of the posts although I don't remember visiting this board? Like Chrissie, I thought (assumed?) it was a place to brag about what you had, not memorabilia looking for a home!

OC

Comment

*Breathes sigh of relief to discover that someone intelligent got the wrong idea too*

Comment

Thanks for your feedback - just the sort of comments we are looking for.

My way of thinking is that unless you view the full forum listing - click here - and read the subheadings of each forum then you're not going to know what they contain. For example, Research Requests forum - did you know this is for requests in a certain location, e.g. library, archives - why is it different to the Family History Research forum? The titles sound very similar but the subheadings explain the difference.

When we created the Family History Memorabilia forum there was an announcement made that described what it was for. There is an introductory post on the forum which again describes what it is for - in fact, if you read that it is not just for returning memorabilia to family members, you can also post queries asking for help with conservation, restoration etc.

Sorry, am not trying to argue against you Chrissie & OC, just trying to explain that the descriptions and information are there if you can navigate to them!

I think it comes down to the way members find their way around the forums and how they read the threads. As I said in the first post by using the NEW POSTS tab then you can be assured you will never miss anything which may interest you.
          Elaine

Comment

On reflection Elaine I think in my case it's more a question of time. You are quite right that everything is explained if people take the time to find their way around. I daren't look too deeply into all the sections or I would be on here all day (as opposed to most of it now) I do have a look at research requests when I get a minute, just in case someone wants a photograph that I can manage to get for them.
            I think maybe I should spend more time on research and less time joking around :o

Comment

I've looked in but tend to forget about it.

I thought about creating a post, I've got some old postcards from 1904 up to 1930, some of which are not from or to members of my family. I don't particularly want to part with them as they form part of a collection but the written content might be of interest to someone somewhere. I could transcibe the text and if anyone shows interest I could scan it for them.

Would that be an appropriate use of the Memorabilia forum?

Comment

Gosh Jill, you have just reminded me that somewhere I have lots of postcards from a similar time frame that I bought in a batch for the views. When I started to read them they were all from or to the same family and formed quite a story. I know for instance approximately when the husband died and the postcards started to be addressed just to the wife.
                I must do some research on them when I get a minute and see if I can find living relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  On reflection Elaine I think in my case it's more a question of time.
                  I think maybe I should spend more time on research and less time joking around
                  I think time is a factor for most of us Chrissie, which is why people are selective in what they look at and inevitably miss things which might be of interest to them.
                  As for spending less time joking around, it's all part of our relaxation time ... don't give it up!

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                  I thought about creating a post, I've got some old postcards from 1904 up to 1930, some of which are not from or to members of my family.
                  I could transcibe the text and if anyone shows interest I could scan it for them.
                  Would that be an appropriate use of the Memorabilia forum?
                  Yes, exactly the sort of thing it can be used for.

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  Gosh Jill, you have just reminded me that somewhere I have lots of postcards from a similar time frame that I bought in a batch for the views. When I started to read them they were all from or to the same family and formed quite a story. I know for instance approximately when the husband died and the postcards started to be addressed just to the wife.
                  I must do some research on them when I get a minute and see if I can find living relatives.
                  Why not pop the details in the forum and let others help you find those living relatives. Even if they are recent ones, and might refer to living people, information can still be passed around by PM.
                  Elaine

Comment

That's a good idea Elaine I've got to find them first though Then I shall check for both the deaths and I can mention their names at least.

Comment

I think it is true to say we all have our own way of accessing the forum boards depending on how much time we have and what we are interested in doing.

My suggestion on one of the threads on the Memorabilia Board was that a new item is perhaps announced on the Family History Research board which seems generally to be the most active (Elaine, correct me if I'm wrong). In that way it would get me (certainly) to look and see if I could help.

The other suggestion was the placing of the board in the list and I felt it would be better if it was next to the Family History Research board so that it caught the eye more readily. The Research Request and Offer boards dare I suggest are ones that are maybe only looked at if someone is actually going to a record repository either to make an offer or see if any requests are relevant to their visit.

That's my tuppence worth! :D

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                        That's my tuppence worth! :D
                        Thanks Margaret!
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          I think it is true to say we all have our own way of accessing the forum boards depending on how much time we have and what we are interested in doing.
                          If you are short of time, the quickest way to get an overview of what has been posted anywhere on the forum since your previous visit, is by using Today's Posts which is under the Quick Links Menu on the toolbar.

It also has the advantage of putting any unread threads in bold so that when you return later, you can see what there is still to read.
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

It seems that posting this thread has brought a bit of attention to the Memorabilia forum, with a couple of new threads being posted yesterday (thanks Jill).

We have also changed the order that the forums appear in this section of the site - hopefully it wont confuse things with people clicking on the wrong ones for a while!

What we do suggest is that you give the NEW POSTS or TODAY'S POST tabs a try - it will guarantee that you wont miss anything which could potentially be of interest!
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              It seems that posting this thread has brought a bit of attention to the Memorabilia forum, with a couple of new threads being posted yesterday (thanks Jill).

We have also changed the order that the forums appear in this section of the site - hopefully it wont confuse things with people clicking on the wrong ones for a while!

What we do suggest is that you give the NEW POSTS or TODAY'S POST tabs a try - it will guarantee that you wont miss anything which could potentially be of interest!
                              Thanks for the suggestion ref New Posts - I'll try that as haven't done it before.

Also I like the new order and think it is more logical - well at least to my logic -LOL
                              Margaret

Comment

I have put a couple of threads in the Memorabilia forum, it gives members a chance to share information on documents etc which they own that might be of interest to other members.

Comment

Thanks for reordering the forums, Elaine. It seems more logical now (to me, anway), although it will take time to get used to it.

scuda
                                  Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Working...
                                  X