Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce in Poland/Bremen

Good Morning.

I have an ancestor who married in Katowice, Poland in February 1898. At one time he lived in Hannover, certainly he was there in 1894.
    However, due to his work/training as a Marine Engineer he spent time in Bremen & Poland, that is my theory. His name was Albert Dietrich and he married Gesina
    Kloefkorn in February 1898. Gesina was born in Bremen and lived there all of her life.

As a Marine Engineer Albert travelled extensively all over the world and had a lot of voyages to Australia. From what I have been able to piece together, I believe
    he settled there in about 1907. I cannot find his entry on a passenger list, nor that of his wife Gesina. However, in 1927 he married again in Sydney under a different
    name, but the marriage certificate makes no mention of a previous marriage. Gesina died in Bremen, Germany in 1938

Therefore, I can only assume that between 1898 and 1907 there was a parting of the ways, either divorce or separation but I have no idea where to look for this
    information. On the other hand she may have travelled with him initially to Australia, did not like it, returned to Germany and never saw her husband again which,
    perhaps left him free to marry again after a lapse of years . She died as Gesina Dietrich so presumably never married again.

May I ask whether anyone has thoughts on this please.

Many thanks
    dreeny

well if they did divorce, i know of many women in my family who kept their married name. and i wouldn't expect mention of previous marriages on australian marriage and death certs. no one knows who you are, so noone can comment on your previous marital situations. could simply be he never told anyone he had been married. if he had, the divorce date would be on the cert.

Comment

The absence of a mention of a previous marriage - or even the assertion that someone is single are not necessarily evidence that a previous marriage has been dissolved.

My Errant Grandfather married my grandmother in 1911, but was - apparently - single, never married (and certainly without two sons), by the time he immigrated to the USA from Canada in 1924!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Are you sure it was at all possible to divorce? I mean, probably they were married in a Catholic church which meant nearly no chance of divorce (unless the sacrament was never really performed in some way or, so I have heard being a Catholic myself, if the marriage was never consummated). According to the Polish wiki on feminism (translated via Live Search) only in the 1920s to 40s Polish women demanded the right to divorce... That makes me wonder...

Personally, we suspect my husband's grandfather of running away via the sea to Britain and leaving a wife in Poland too. The story is that this person had one child and suddenly disappeared. A few years later, a person with the same name weirdly spelled turns up in London, a few days before Christmas 1915, makes a baby with a woman and then stays forever, not telling his family where he came from apart from a few lies which don't add up and some of them we have proof not to be true...

It is very well possible that he married young, grew apart from his wife and decided it was rather good in Australia, didn't contact his family in Poland again, so they presumed him dead, and he married again. How were the British (then still?) going to check out whether this person was really unmarried?

Comment

Hi Kiki.

Your last paragraph probably puts it all in a nutshell.

However, the members of this family I have on record were non catholic, Albert's parents definitely married in an anglican church, as did one brother and one sister. They
          were, to the best of my knowledge, not residents of Poland, Albert was employed there and Gesina was a resident of Bremen. At this time, I am assuming that Albert's parents mayalso have been in Bremen, but more likely Hannover.

When he changed his name I do not believe this related to deceiving the authoritites about his marital status but was connected to pro v anti German aggravation because of
          his name and some problems he had had whilst working around the dockyards. However, the name change made it easy when he married there being a gap of 5 yrs between the two events
          too.

I have his 2nd marriage certificate but ran up against problems when endeavouring to obtain the one from the archives in Katowice. It was found but the language barrier has prevented me from
          sorting out payment.

dreeny22

Comment

i had a record from the archives in poznan. it was difficult, but the way to go is to get a cheque or a bank draft made out to them, they usually supply their details! put the letters/emails they sent on the forum if you need help, it took me 3 goes to get mine sorted!

Comment

Hello again.

Yes, he probably did not do that on purpose and anti-German sentiments were growing...

Anyway what I wanted to propose was to help you with your payment.

My husband knows a some Polish and can explain himself quite well.

From my experience, we got scans from the archive and they were 20 eurocents each. However as all archives are on their own in that country charges may vary.

pm me if you feel that would be a good idea.

Comment

Thank-you Kiki. Was your copy sent via email Hopefully below a translation of the letter from Katowice:

20.09.2011-[IV-843-252/11] [26 September 2011].

The national archives in Katowice again indicates that the resource is stored in the aktowym found the Act of marriage of Albert Dietrich, and Gesiny Klőfkorn from 1898.
                The archive may deliver a copy of the nieuwierzytelnioną ww. a document in digital form or in the form of a printout on paper after settlement costs to perform the query (0.5 HR search and ' 80,00 zł) and cost of implementation: 1 photo x 2,50 $ + $ 2.00 CD (in the case of digital photography), or foto 1 x 2,50 $ + $ 2.00 price printed.
                The amount of $ 44,50, together with an indication of the chosen form of the copies shall be paid into the account, the State Archives in Katowice (no rach: NBP axis. KATOWICE 31 1010 0010 0000 1212 1022 3100), referring to the character matters archive: 12/IV 843-252/11.

The Deputy Director
                The State archive in Katowice
                mgr Sławomira Krupa

DG Conflicting change.

Comment

Working...
                X