Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Mystery - Where did they Go?

Hi, I am a newby to the site

I am looking for information on two brothers, Robin Dix (1870) and Alfred Edward(1874) Bond, who were born to George Bond and Hannah Boon Dix in Stafford, Staffordshire. I know that both parents died before the end of the 1870's and that both boys were recorded as pauper inmates in Stafford workhouse on the 1881 census.

Previous research has indicated that Alfred was living with his aunt, his mother's sister, Sarah Bates (Nee Dix) in 1891 and was possibly a lodger in West Bromwich in 1901. Furthermore, he could also possibly have married a Sarah Long from Wolverhampton in 1905/6.

However,the problem I have, is that according to family lore, one or both boys could have emigrated. There is definitely no signs of Roger on any UK database post 1881.

Any help would be apreciated,

Regards`
    Frank

EDIT (Christine in Herts): † This name is really "Roger" - to spare any late-comers who start looking before they've read any more of the thread!
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 30-11-11, 16:18.

Welcome to the forum, Frank.

I am going to move your thread to our Family History Research forum, where hopefully some of our members will be able to help!
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Merseycat View Post
      ..... Robin Dix (1870)

There is definitely no signs of Roger on any UK database post 1881.
      Are we looking for Robin or Roger
      Elaine

Comment

Ignore that - found him in 1891 recorded as Roger!
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Could you send me the link please?

Many thanks,
          Frank

Comment

Sorry Frank - my mistake, I meant the 1881 census which I presume you already have.

He is certainly elusive - not having muck luck with him at all.
            Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,
              No probs. It is easily done. With having such an unusual second name you would have thought that he would have stood out like the proverbial sore thumb. I can only assume that for whatever reason he dropped his middle name or if he emigrated it was never recorded.
              Frank

Comment

The only things showing up at the moment are threads you have posted elsewhere!
                At least it shows the value of getting your queries on to the world wide web!
                Elaine

Comment

I have no idea how you could eliminate this one!

R D B born c1871 England - Middlesex County Asylum

Note - not born Scotland as per Ancestry transcription!

RG13; Piece: 488; Folio: 11; Page: 16
                  Elaine

Comment

Just popping in to say welcome Frank - glad you found us! If the folks on here can't root out Roger then I don't know who will!
                    Helen
                    Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Hi Helen and Elaine

Thanks for your welcome. Elaine, many thanks for your sterling efforts in tracing this possible Roger 'The Dodger' Bond in Walworth. How were you able to identify that the RDB listed was born in England and not Scotland as per the Ancestry site? I have a cousin who lives in Walworth, so I am going to email him to see if he can do some digging for us to see what he can find out.

Cheers
                      Frank

Regards
                      Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Merseycat View Post
                        How were you able to identify that the RDB listed was born in England and not Scotland as per the Ancestry site?
                        If you look at the image of the census there is no mention of Scotland. However, at the top of the page against the first person listed, under the column headed "where born" it says Eng NK

The occupation on the census is Engineer and he is listed as an imbecile.

Please don't get too excited on the find - it really could be anyone!
                        Elaine

Comment

Have you traced Alfred Edward Bond through to his death? Checked witnesses on marriage certificate, checked for a will, informant on death certificate - just to see if Roger is mentioned at all?
                          Elaine

Comment

There is someone (Heather) on Genes Reunited who has Roger Bond b1870 Stafford in her tree.
                            Are you in contact?
                            Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Yes, I realise that it could be anybody , but you never know........ I realise said Walworth in my reply when I meant Wandsworth. Start the car!! I have just had a look on GR - Search All Trees - but it came up blank. I did write to a couple of people on Ancestry but they never replied!

With regards to Alfred , he was living with his aunt , Sarah Bates (Nee Dix) in 1891 , and Helen says that he stayed with her until her death in 1896 and that by 1901. he was working as a baker ,lodging in West Bromwich. I have found a possible marriage in Birmingham for someone I believe to be Alfred in 1905 to a Wolverhampton born Sarah Rose Ann Lord, with a possible birth of a daughter, Winifred Rose Bond in 1906 in Erdington. Again, if Helen is correct, the family were still together in 1911 in West Bromwich and he was still baking bread, which matches the earlier census. She thinks that Alfred may have died in Birmingham in 1935.

The friend I am helping in this, Keith Wesley from Doncaster - his wife is Roger and Alfred's a grand niece being the granddaughter of their brother, Clement - believes that one or both brothers emigrated, although we have no definitive proof of this and it could be simply a family story to explain a disappearance. Therefore he has never searched for them in the UK and was unaware that Alfred may have indeed married and had a family. As Helen is related to the Bond family, she has said that she will pay a visit to Birmingham records office in the near future to check it out, as she too has had trouble pinpointing out the whereabouts of Roger and Alfred.

Cheers
                              Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                I have no idea how you could eliminate this one!

R D B born c1871 England - Middlesex County Asylum

Note - not born Scotland as per Ancestry transcription!

RG13; Piece: 488; Folio: 11; Page: 16
                                I suspect that this might be R D BROUGHTON:
                                see 1911 RG14/2391 RD26 SD6 ED22 SN1
                                Where this (single) patient appears in Wandsworth as a former engineer, b c1870.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well done Christine!
                                  Back to the drawing board!
                                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Chris. As Elaine has said, 'back to the drawing board'.

Cheers
                                    Frank

Comment

Where did they go? Family mystery

Hi Everyone,

I have now managed to trace the progress of the younger Bond brother, Alfred Edwin via the various census records and his subsequent 1905 marriage to a Sarah Rose Anne Lord in Erdington Birmingham on the 14th of October 1905, to his death in 1936. His marriage certificate gives him as Alfred Edward, not Edwin as per his birth certificate. However, there is still no trace of Roger!

Apparently the copy certificate has the letters WSR written in pencil on it. Has anyone got any ideas as to what this might refer to?

All the best for the New Year,
                                      Frank

Comment

http://www.wsr.org.uk/ a possible for the letters WSR

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                        X