No announcement yet.

Meaning of entry on a census - Gutter ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaning of entry on a census - Gutter ?

In left hand margin on an 1841 Census for Hope in Derbyshire is definitely what looks like the word "Gutter" against my ancestor Richard Hallam. My mind is leaping to all sorts of wrong conclusions. Any other meanings for this?
    Attached Files

It looks more like Hatter to me.
    Moggie

Comment

Nickie

can you post the url link to ancestry please.. usually it is the street/abode that is in that column
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I would think that it is/was classed as an area of Bradwell, they do have a website and a historical society so maybe they would be able to help?

Julie

Comment

Here's the link for anyone who wants it - looks like Gutter to me, and as Julie says, probably an area of Bradwell.

Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine, thats what I thought too.. sometimes places do have funny local nick names.. like in whitwick.. there is actually a place called 'the Dumps'.. so you can literally be 'down in the dumps'..lol!
            Julie

Comment

this made me laugh as I have a rellie in 1881 address Van in Loose Lane, they lived in a Caravan

Comment

Cany uou find the enumeration district above the census and follow the enumerators round to see the description of the area.

The address says Gutter the occupation is Hatter

I can see that you are thinking they were all homeless

Edna

Comment

Edna,

I did try that and went to the description of the enumeration district (1) for Bradwell/Hope Derbyshire and it really said nothing much and certainly nothing about the roads/route he enumerated :(

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                    Cany uou find the enumeration district above the census and follow the enumerators round to see the description of the area.
                    Tried that! No info given.
                    Elaine

Comment

snap Elaine...lol
                      Julie

Comment

OK I dont have a sub to check but I used to always follow the round if possible but might have known you would have checked already

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                          OK I dont have a sub to check but I used to always follow the round if possible but might have known you would have checked already

Edna
                          LOL!! I know what you mean Edna, but yep more ideas in the pot certainly help :smilee:
                          Julie

Comment

If you google

"The Gutter, Hope, Derbyshire" then several tourist sites come up, including one with a map of the area known as "the Gutter".

OC

Comment

Would there have been pavements in 1841 for anyone to use the word gutter meaning homeless?
                              Margaret

Comment

Found answer to Gutter

Thanks to all for your suggestions - and pointing to it being a place name. (Though rather liked the idea of homeless). I found this Will extract for someone from Hope in Bradwell:
                                "..........there are two son-in-laws named - John JACKSON who gets the nether south-field & the barn in "The Gutter" which is let to another son-in-law - Ellis NEEDHAM, a butcher who is to have the house where he lives, cart shed etc. livestock; he mentions his late daughter Ann & her children; he appears to be a man worried to do right for his family."

In case anyone has Derbyshire ancestors, this looks useful for Derbyshire Will extracts - A to Z of names:

Thanks again - never known such lightning responses from any other site!

Nickie

Comment

would homeless people have been enumerated in the census?

Comment

kyle

Yes, homeless people were enumerated - the census was supposed to enumerate the entire population.

OC

Comment

Moggie is right the word is hatter.
                                      Looking at Job Middleton on the same page his occupation is the same.Then go to the 1851 census and look for Job Middleton and it is clearer and he is a hatter.
                                      the meercat.

Comment

meercat

We are looking at the LEFT HAND column, not the right hand one (which says hatter, I agree).

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X