Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Renwick and Margaret Hay

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and hoping that you can help with more information concerning my Great(2) Grandfather/Grandmother.

I have the following info on them both - John Renwick was apparently born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne around 1812.
    His father was: THomas Renwick (occupation: Corn Factor). The name of his mother still remains a mystery.

He married a Margaret Hay at St. John the Baptist Church, Newcastle on 10.07.1843.
    They had a daughter: Isabella Ann Renwick, b. 04.05.1842 in South Hetton, Durham, she died on 04.01.1891 in Middlesbrough.

John Renwick apparently died in 1873 in Durham.

His wife Margaret was born on 01.06.1812 in Hebburn, Durham.

The name of Margarets parents is also still a mystery.

Apparently, after John' death, Margaret remarried in 1881 in Easington. Her second husband was a John Hope, b.1825 in Billingham

Can anyone help with additional / confirmatory information?

regards

Brian

do you have the marriage certificates? they will have the father's names. also how do you know when margaret was born if you do not have parents names?

Comment

Hi kylejustin,

I only have the marriage certificate for John Renwick and Margaret Hay. Yes, you are right, Margarets father is named: Thomas Hays.

You have probably noticed that there is confusion here - Hay suddenly becomes Hays. On the marriage certicate Margaret is down as "Hays", however on Isabella's birth certificate she is down as "Hay". I suspect that "Hays" is correct.
      I do not have the Margaret's birth certificate. Her DOB was obtained from a relative who may be in possession of a birth certificate - I will be checking that out shortly.

Comment

Brian I have left a\ message on the welcome part of site but Im a boro lass and will help in any way but not this week as not to well but must admit the only way would will find out out is by certs at this stage as archives stuff doest give out BC info at that time
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I thought, for a moment, that the 1843 marriage was on FamilySearch, but it's a day out and the bride was Mary - and it's at a different Newcastle church (All Saints).

FamilySearch has Bishop's Transcripts - but they're Baptisms and Burials, only, at that date, as far as I can see.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Newcastle BMD site has Margaret's surname as HAYS.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

ok, so you have a copy of margaret's first marriage. do you have them throughout the census? and you are trying to go backwards? just trying to figure out what info you need so we can help.

Comment

Hi Christine, thanks for that link. bg

Comment

Hi Kylejustin,

can you explain the following text that i have extracted from your posting "do you have them throughout the census"

bg

Comment

Hi Boro Babs,

many thanks for your offer of help and get well soon.

Brian

Comment

hi brian, i meant, do you have them in any census?

Comment

Hi Kylejustin,

yes, I have found them in the census for 1851, 1861 and 1871 - Durham Records Online. (I have copies of their census records)

Comment

so your looking for them in 1841? have they both died by 1881?

Comment

possible for john renwick a draper in 1841:

Address: Mosley Street, St John, Newcastle Upon Tyne

RENWICK, John-M. age 30, b.1811, Northumberland
                            LAWSON, Edward- M. age 20, b.1821
                            SHIELD, John-M. age 15, b.1826
                            THOMPSON, Thos-M. age 15, b.1826
                            HESLOP, Thos-M. age 15, b.1826
                            ELLIOTT, Robt-M. age 15, b.1826
                            RENWICK, Ann-F. age 60, b.1781, Northumberland
                            BART, Elizabeth-F. age 15, b.1826, Northumberland

anne renwick could be john's mother.

Comment

scrap that that one seems to be with her in 1851. i cant see your john renwick in 1851?

Comment

there are 2 births for john renwick in newcastle, one in 1805, the other in 1817, according to findmypast. neither seem to be yours.

1) 19 oct 1817, john johnson son of john and ann renwick at newcastle all saints.

2) 12 nov 1805, john son of john renwick a pattern ringmaker and elizabeth turnbull, dau of john of cowbridge a weaver at hood st methodist.

so i guess there's nothing new on john renwick yet.

Comment

there is a margaret hay in newcastle in 1841, she is 25, b.1816, an independant not born in northumberland. living at bedford st with a james 12, b.1829, scotland, margt 8, b.1833, northumberland and an agnes 8 mths b.1841 in scotland.

this could be margaret and her siblings?

Comment

im just not having any luck. i havn't been able to find them in 1851, and the places they're born in don't seem to be online parish register wise. you may have to contact local history societies to see if they have the parishes on cd for you.

Comment

Hi Kylejustin,

many, many thanks for all the hard work in researching that you have done for me - I need to check all that information out and once i have done that, I will get back to you with some answers to your questions,ok.

regards

Brian

Comment

Working...
                                      X