Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frederick Rapson and Caroline Ashurst, can someone point me in the right direction ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick Rapson and Caroline Ashurst, can someone point me in the right direction ?

My GG Grandparents Frederick Rapson born 1857 in St. Brides, London and Caroline Ashurst born 1863 in Wigan, Lancs. They both committed a crime in 1882
    and were both given " Hard Labour", after their release they moved to Hereford and were married there.
    They moved around a bit and ended up in Usk. (1901 Census) By the 1911 Census they are both now stated as being "inmates" at the Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum in Abergavenny, this is where Fredereick dies, Caroline is alive until 1946.
    All of their children by 1911 have been adopted or in work. My G Nanna said she went to a boarding school in Swansea I suspect this was probably an Industrial School ?
    Can anyone tell me what information if any I may be able to find. Will the Asylum have records ? and how do I apply. I don't really know where to go from here.
    Thanks in advance, as I may be a while in comming back as I have to take my youngest to the fracture clinic to have a new cast on his arm :(
    Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

I would think that Gwent Archives would be able to help..

that's if it falls under the area where you need.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie

Thanks for the link, lots of information on there.
      I think I will have to ponder on this for while.
      Julie

Comment

Might also be worth seeing what's available in the online newspaper resources? The references to "Frederick Rapson" don't seem to pick up on yours yet, but this site might come up with the goods eventually: http://www1.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
        But be aware that the search and initial hit sample is free, but you have to pay if you want the full image.

You amy be able to find something using library resources: I get the Times Digital Archive and the BL C19th Newspaper Collection online at home, with my library membership number.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

So far, I've found references only in the 1870s - one was a London policeman, and another was an agent for the South Devon Railway.
          (The London policeman also shows up on the Old Bailey site.)

I found a couple of references in the TDA, in 1912 and 1931, but they don't look right either.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-11-11, 22:33.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Thanks for looking for Frederick for me. I have had a look myself but with no luck either. The Rapsons were I think a printing family, they lived in Poppins Court, which is just off Fleet Street.
            I have no other information about the Rapsons. My G Nanna didn't speak of her family at all. My mother didn't even know that Caroline was alive until 1946 and lived in Abergavenny when they lived about 10 miles away.
            I think that I will send for Caroline's death cert and see what information is on there.
            Julie

Comment

Working...
            X