Army records for Robert Crankshaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army records for Robert Crankshaw

Can anyone help me? I am looking for the WW1 army records for Robert Thomas Crankshaw, b.1890
    I can't find anything at all! My husbands family tell me many "stories" of Robert being in the Welsh Cycle Regiment. This draws many blanks as far as records go. On his marriage certificate in 1918 it says he was on active service. I am starting to think that the whole being in the army could have been a "story".

Any ideas anyone?

Lisa

Had a look on army records but cant find anything :(

Comment

Not necessarily a story Lisa, probably just one of the burnt records. I know several of my family were in the services but I can't find their records at all, others are patchy with burnt edges.
      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

If he continued in the Army after WW1 then I don't think the records would be available in the Ancestry collections any way, whether they had survived or not.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks everyone. He is being very elusive! I am currently signing up to the Great War Forum to see if anyone knows anything about the regiment, which may help. There's nothing on NA online docs either. :-(

Comment

The Welsh Regiment had at the beginning of the war a Territorial Battalion (the 7th) which was a cyclists battalion - but for him to have been with them initially - he would have had to have been based around Cardiff. During the war they expanded to 3 battalions (1/7, 2/7 and 3/7) but all were 'home' based units that remained in the UK - at various locations

If he was with them - it could explain why he doesn't appear to have a medal card - as service medals were only awarded for service outside Britain

Will be interesting to see what the GWF experts come up with

Cheers
            Sue

Comment

Lisajj,
              Don't forget that on the GWF you will have to have made 5 posts before you can send/receive pm's. Any rubbish
              will do, just the number it is an anti spam measure. Of course you can post and receive posts normally. Incidentally
              Sue is correct there are no records on Ancestry that come up, if there is no medal card then he probably didn't go overseas.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Hi Lisa,

Have you tried looking for your fella in the 1918/19 Absent Voters List ?

Every person who was fighting and entitled to vote were listed at their home address, along with with rank, unit and service number .

I found my great grandfather this way.The 1918/19 Absent Voters List were held in the archives of his hometown..\

bcbrit
                George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Working...
                X