Are they all convicts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are they all convicts?

My great x4 grandparents were William and Judith Salter (nee Atkins) of Melksham Wiltshire England.

And three of their sons were (all born in Melksham Wilkinshire)

Thomas 1803

William 1806

Isaac 1813

I know Issac Salter was transported to Tasmania in 1836 aboard the Lady Nugent....this is 100%

But was Thomas Salter the convict who was sent out to NSW aboard the ship Mangles.

And was William Salter the convict who was sent to Tasmania aboard the ship Lord William Bentinck.

The record says that Thomas Salter, 36, single, labourer, native place Wiltshire was convicted of Horse Stealing and sentenced to 10 years. He could read and write and was Protestant. Does that sound anything like yours ?

Can't find any details on William except he was sentenced for 7 years. But will look again later after work

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

He is a distinct possibility....there is a death of a Thomas Salter aged 40 in NSW 1844 that could be him...unfortunately no parents named.

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
        He is a distinct possibility....there is a death of a Thomas Salter aged 40 in NSW 1844 that could be him...unfortunately no parents named.
        No, that will only be a burial record, no civil reg with details until 1856. But unlikely that he was in NSW if his sentence was 10 years - he would still be in Tassie.
        There was a ticket of leave for one of the Salters I saw, Hang on I will go and check..

You could see if there are any records of the Wiltshire Assizes, or newspaper reports locally, or see if the Tassie or NSW papers have any obits which might give clues (google NLA Trove for Aussie newspapers digitised and free)
        Diane
        Sydney Australia

Comment

The Thomas Salter from aboard the Mangles was sent to NSW not Tasmania....that is why I thought that death could possible be him.

Comment

It's worth checking the Trove site for any mention of Thomas Salter as often convicts had more brushes with the law and newspapers of the time printed many items about those charged with various offenses. I discovered some very interesting snippets about my convict through these reports.

There were several newspapers printed in Sydney during the 1830-1840s : Sydney Herald 1831-42, Sydney Morning Herald from 1842, Sydney Gazette & NSW advertiser 1803- 1842.

Trove - The National Library of Australia, in collaboration with Australian State and Territory libraries, runs the Australian Newspaper Digitization Program with the aim of making as many publications available online as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
              The Thomas Salter from aboard the Mangles was sent to NSW not Tasmania....that is why I thought that death could possible be him.
              Sorry, he was indeed. Then the burial record could be him, you could only be sure if you could eliminate any other Thomas Salters. Sometimes though, burial records for convicts included their ship of arrival (it seemed to be common identification point), but may not be included if he had achieved his certificate of freedom or ticket of leave.

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
              X