Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling my hair out

Hi,
    I am wondering if someone could help with my dilemma. I have a Frederick Richardson born about 1835 in Sussex. Father on cenuses listed as John Richardson born about 1797. Mother Hannah Passell. From a family member i have learnt that Frederick marries a Mary Burwell but the only marriage of a Frederick and Mary lists Fredericks father as Joseph. Can someone with fresh eyes point me in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Sharon

Can you give the reference for any census information you have found?

- and if we haven't already welcomed you to the forum, WELCOME!
    Elaine

Comment

If your census info is this from 1841 HO107 piece 1111 folio 3/4 page 1
      Head of household John Richardson aged 44 living in New Road Bolney don't forget that relationships were not listed in 1841 so Frederick aged 6 could be John's grandson or nephew rather than son.

Oh blow, just looked at 1851 entry for that family and Frederick was listed as son. Een so census info wasn't always correct so he could still have been a grandson or nephew being brought up as a son maybe. Worth following up?

Oh double blow, Frederick Richardson son of John and Hannah was baptised Cowfield, Sussex 15 March 1835.
      Now all I can think is that the Frederick who married Mary Burwell was not the same man, or there was a mistranscription on the marriage certificate - is your info from the parish register or a GRO copy certificate?
      Last edited by JudithM; 27-11-11, 09:00.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Maybe fathers real name was Joseph (marriage cert)but in everyday life he was called John(census)!

I've got one that changes from John to James on a regular basis so why not Joseph to John!
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

There's two Frederick Richardson's on the 1871 census born circa 1835 in Sussex, I believe there's 'yours', AND the one who married Mary Burwell.

I'm assuming this is the marriage you refer to?

Mar qrt 1865, Leeds, 9b/385. Frederick Richardson and also indexed Mary Burwell.

1871 census has, living St Pancras, London .....(which would appear to be Frederick who married Mary Burwell)

Frederick Richardson 37, Butcher, Withyham Sussex
          Mary Richardson 26, Lincolnshire
          Harry Richardson 5, Leeds Yorkshire
          Walter Richardson 3, London, Middlesex
          Edith Richardson 5 Months, Middlesex

RG10; Piece: 228; Folio: 56; Page: 23

Also in 1871, living Kingston on Thames, lodging in William Rugman's household.

Frederick Richardson 36, (can't make out his occ.) born Cowfold, RG10; Piece: 858; Folio: 112; Page: 23

Comment

Possible deaths for Frederick born Cowfold, living Kingston 1871

Deaths Sept qrt 1871, 1a/422, Hampstead, Frederick Richardson age 36.

Deaths Sept qrt 1877, Kingston, 2a/146, Frederick Richardson, age 43.
            Last edited by Guest; 27-11-11, 23:18.

Comment

Hi,
              Thank you for the warm welcome and for thoughts and help. I might have to dwell on this one a bit longer and see if i can get it all to come together. I can't seem to find a marriage cert for John and Hannah so will look to see if i can find a Joseph and Hannah. I will let you know how i go. So Elaine, JudithM, Vivienne, and SusanH thank you so much for your interest.
              Sharon

Comment

Hi,

Can you tell us how you got back to Frederick Richardson, is it through one of his children and if so which one?

Comment

Hi Susanh,
                  He was my dad's great grandfather and i was told the information from one of Frederick's son's Harry Adkins-Richardson's son's. Gee that sounds confusing doesn't it. When Frederick died Mary Burwell married a Charles Adkins. Charles worked on the railways and Harry took on the Adkins name so he could work on the railways also. Apparently back then if you had a family member working on the railway you had more chance of getting a job too. On Harry's marriage banns to Elizabeth Emma White he listed Charles as his father not Frederick. Harry was born in 1865 and died in 1957. Hope that helps.

Comment

Harry Adkins married 16 Feb 1896 at St Clement, Barnsbury (aged 29 occ Porter L & NWR of 35 Roman Road, father: Charles Adkins deceased, policeman) to Elizabeth Emma White (24 no occupation, 28 Cumberland Place, father: William White electrical engineer) witnesses Charles Walker, William White, Eliza White.

I've found a marriage by a widowed Mary Richardson (father, Christopher Burwell) to Charles Martin Adkins on 02 Dec 1874 at the parish church Kentish Town, but Adkins was a Cordwainer, not a railway worker.

No time to dig any more, I should be getting ready for work!

Comment

Hi JillA272, Thanks for that info on one census i found it had a railway porter. I think i am even more confused now than i was before, if that is even possible. This family is going to make me lose the last bit of sanity i have left.
                      Thanks for your info i really appreciate it.
                      Sharon

Comment

I've found the Richardson/Burwell marriage. Frederick's father is named Joseph, occ Butcher.
                        Mary's father Christopher, occ Joiner.
                        William and Sarah Lightfoot were the witnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                          There's two Frederick Richardson's on the 1871 census born circa 1835 in Sussex, I believe there's 'yours', AND the one who married Mary Burwell.

I'm assuming this is the marriage you refer to?

Mar qrt 1865, Leeds, 9b/385. Frederick Richardson and also indexed Mary Burwell.

1871 census has, living St Pancras, London .....(which would appear to be Frederick who married Mary Burwell)

Frederick Richardson 37, Butcher, Withyham Sussex
                          Mary Richardson 26, Lincolnshire
                          Harry Richardson 5, Leeds Yorkshire
                          Walter Richardson 3, London, Middlesex
                          Edith Richardson 5 Months, Middlesex

RG10; Piece: 228; Folio: 56; Page: 23

Also in 1871, living Kingston on Thames, lodging in William Rugman's household.

Frederick Richardson 36, (can't make out his occ.) born Cowfold, RG10; Piece: 858; Folio: 112; Page: 23
                          Frederick highlighted above can be traced back through the census, and he's the one with parents' John and Hannah, so NOT your Frederick.

Unfortunately I've not found 'your' Frederick on 1841, 51, 61 census, he seems to have appeared from nowhere in 1865 when he married Mary. I wonder if there's been a change of name at some point? More searching needed!

Comment

Hi Susan h,
                            Thank you so much for the digging you are doing on this. I was beginning to think i was going mad or blind one or the other. I am going to get back in touch with Harry's grandson and see if he has any documentation. Unfortunately he is a hard man to get hold of and i don't know how long it will take. Sorry to have put this muddle on you but i am so grateful for your interest.
                            Sharon

Comment

maybe frederick took a step father's surname? my 3rd great grandfather did. his father died when he was a toddler, and to stay in the military against his mother's consent, he took her deceased 2nd husband's name!

Comment

I've checked the Withyham baptisms, no bapt for any Frederick Richardson during the right time for your Frederick (nor in the next door parish of Rotherfield).

There is a Daniel Richardson farmer baptising a son (Ambert William) in 1835 & Joseph Richardson miller with a son (Rober Plomer) in 1836.

Comment

Working...
                                X