Irish Ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Ancestors

I have been having difficulty with my Irish family for a long time now, and recently got hold of the Irish census for 1901 & 1911. I was searching through the former, and came across what could possibly be my great grandmother, (Julia Rowe nee Commons) widowed, aged 60, with three unmarried children. It doesn't give her maiden name on the census of course, but it remains a possibility.

From this, what would be a way of proceeding further, and finding more information?

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Best regards

Ann

I don't know the fields on the Irish 1901 census, but a place/county of birth would be helpful. You may be able to guess denomination?

Irish civil reg didn't start until 1864. If she held off till then, you may be able to find the marriage. Also, Church of Ireland marriage registration started earlier.

You may find a baptism on familysearch or on rootsireland. There are other sites, too - best to look in the FTF reference section.

Applotment records are often used in Ireland - they are related to taxes.

Ireland is a tough genealogical nut to crack. Good luck!
    sarah

Comment

Keep a check on http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/ where they have Irish church records online free to view. It is a work in progress and do not have Meath yet. Anyone with Dublin relatives may be in for a treat (I was). So far they cover DUBLIN, CORK, KERRY and CARLOW. There is a Julia Commons but not likely yours - in Kerry, getting married to a Thos Reilly in 1868. Unless he died, she remarried, and moved!

Nickie

Comment

THank you both so much for answering me so soon, Sarah and Nickie.
        I know the names of my great grandparents;- Thomas Roe/Rowe & Julia Commons, I have found them and several of their offspring, including my grandfather (Patrick Joseph b 1870), on Family Search, but cannot find a marriage for them. Finding somone who could be my Julia on the census really gave me hope that there might b a light at the end of what has proven to be a long dark tunnel. Odd you should mention Meath in your post Nickie, as that is the county in question. I also know that their religion was Roman Catholic. You are right about the Julia you found in Kerry not being mine, by the time 1868 came around mine had had two children and was probably pregnant with her third.Thanks again for what information you were able to help me with, I shall keep plugging away, and maybe one day I will be able to move forward.

Best regards

Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Bentley View Post
          by the time 1868 came around mine had had two children and was probably pregnant with her third.
          Then the good news is that (some of?) the children were born in the time of Civil Reg. Did you find the births indexed on familysearch? If you can find the civil reg, it will have mother's maiden name.

Please note that familysearch has indexed two types of civil reg records: like the records on freebmd, there are indexes to the civil reg records. Many of those are on familysearch. Familysearch also has indexed to a smaller set of actual civil reg records. You can tell because the parents name and the actual birthdate and place will be listed (not true of the index of the index).

If you've found the actual birth civil reg on familysearch, there will be a film number associated with it. You can order that film at your local family history centre for a nominal fee. It arrive a little while later, and you can go into review the film.

Of course, most of the information from the record is on the index. I picked up the birth attendants (my g'grandmother's eldest sister attended one of the two births I found on civil reg) and also their residence at the time of the birth.

Let me know what you find out.

sarah
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-11-11, 06:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickie View Post
            Keep a check on http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/ where they have Irish church records online free to view. It is a work in progress and do not have Meath yet. Anyone with Dublin relatives may be in for a treat (I was). So far they cover DUBLIN, CORK, KERRY and CARLOW. There is a Julia Commons but not likely yours - in Kerry, getting married to a Thos Reilly in 1868. Unless he died, she remarried, and moved!

Nickie

Nickie thanks for this, I am over the moon, been searching without luck for the origins in Ireland of my 4xgreat grandparents William Regan and Julia Callaghan for over five years. They are on the 1841 Census in London with a 5 year old daughter Norah, and later census give their place of origin as County Cork, but never been able to find any record of them through the IFHF sites. I had all but given up hope of ever doing so, but using your link I have just found Norah's baptism as 'Norry Regan' on 6 April 1835 in Rafylane, Kilmury, Cork. Terrific really am made up!

Comment

Really pleased for you Richard! I was over the moon too with extra Dublin ancestors I found.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                Nickie thanks for this, I am over the moon, been searching without luck for the origins in Ireland of my 4xgreat grandparents William Regan and Julia Callaghan for over five years. They are on the 1841 Census in London with a 5 year old daughter Norah, and later census give their place of origin as County Cork, but never been able to find any record of them through the IFHF sites. I had all but given up hope of ever doing so, but using your link I have just found Norah's baptism as 'Norry Regan' on 6 April 1835 in Rafylane, Kilmury, Cork. Terrific really am made up!
                Like you I had given up on the Irish side of my family until the 1901 and 1911 censuses became available. I also have now found lots of my family through using ancestry's indexes which I believe are virtually the same as on family search but have a look here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...F0003A49-int=1 for the full list of what ancestry have.

Keep going it's getting easier every day.

Margaret

Comment

Commons is a name that can be spelt many ways Cummins/Cummings/Comyns being just three of these names. I am researching Cummins myself from Tipperary and have a number of Cummins parish records for a small part of Tipperary so if you are into Tipperary for this name then maybe I can help.

Janet

Comment

Thanks again everyone for taking such an interest. How wonderful that my query, (and some of your replies) have helped someone else! I am taking note of everything you say, including the "spelling" thing. I know about that, because Roe, Row and Rowe. I am off to do some Christmas shopping this morniing, but will be back and hard at work on the problem later today.
                    All the best
                    Ann

Comment

Just a quick update, to let you know I am not slacking: I sent an E-mail to Family Search and this morning had a reply. They had as much luck as I had in finding a marriage date for Thomas and Julia (none), but did suggest some other sites to try for more information. They had looked on A...... com, and come up with a tree containing the names, including my grandparents', parent's names, and myself and siblings(still no marriage date for Thomas & Julia). I have no idea who the tree owner is, but I have sent a message and hope to find out.
                      I am about to start looking at the sites that were suggested to me by Family Search, and will let you know how I go.
                      Regards to all
                      Ann

Comment

Keep going Ann - I have just found some cousins in Canada from contacts on ancestry and am finding out loads about my Irish relatives who went to live there.
                        Margaret

Comment

Working...
                        X