Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help reading this marriage entry in Latin (1724)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help reading this marriage entry in Latin (1724)

It's the one in the top left hand corner - I know the groom's name is Jean-Jacques MORIENCOURT but am more or less guessing at the rest of the info and who it relates to. Not sure if the link worls directly but if not it's on p 625 - just enter in the grey box at the bottom of the page

Thanks

http://www.archivesdepartementales.cg59.fr/?id=viewer&doc=accounts%2Fmnesys_ad59%2Fdatas%2Fir %2FEtat civil%2FFRAD059_MI_A_Z_2011_07_01.xml&page_ref=189 418&lot_num=1&img_num=1

Last edited by taffyfrog; 26-11-11, 21:44.
    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

I think it says that after the banns were read on the 20th, 25th and 27th of this month, there being no lawful impediment I, the undersigned vicar of this parish, celebrated the marriage between Jean-Jacques Moriencour, son of Jacques and Rufina Dinne?, of the parish of St. Etienne de L'ile, and Anne-Josèphe (or Joséphine?) Dulieu, daughter of Nicholas and Marie-Françoise De Béthune of this parish, in the presence of witnesses Martin Goffar, Guillaume Steille? and Louis-François Blary.

I've translated the names from Latin to French, so I hope they're correct. The groom's parish is S. Stephani Insulis in Latin, which translates to St. Stephen of the Island.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-11-11, 23:17.

Comment

Thanks Mary

That makes a lot of sense - S Stephani Insulis just hadn't dawned on me - of course it is St Etienne in Lille (insulis=l'île-Lille). Now wondering why the bride has a different surname from her parents or if De Béthune means that they were from the town of Béthune, near Lille originally although it says OTP. oh well, another day, another challenge.

Comment

You could be right about Lille, I hadn't thought of that.

I think De Béthune is probably her mother's maiden name, and Dinne is her husband's mother's maiden name.

Comment

Yes, could be - worth looking into

Comment

in the marriage entries the brides maiden name is already given, so the father's christian name was followed by the wife's full name.

Comment

Thanks for your help ladies -these are definitely St André -Lille records - I should have realised that St Etienne Lille would have been written in Latin - just feel thick...live and learn. Hopefully I will be able to sort out the mothers now

Comment

I couldn't think of a decent translation for Rufina's name - it doesn't sound at all French. It means "red-haired" in Latin (female form of Rufus).

Comment

I ran a quick search on Ancestry public trees and there were quite a few French Rufina's - suppose it's the female equivalent of Rufus. I've lived in France for over 30 years and never met anypne called Rufina so it must just have gone out of fashion. Also on a French site a few people with Debéthune as family name - ditto never came across anyone with that name either but unfortunately none of them tie up with my tree. Anyway, In the meantime I think I have located ther birth record for Jean-Jacques Moriencour's father but daren't look at it - it's probably in Latin too - will save that for another day

edit

sorry, yes you did say it was the female form of Rufus

Comment

it's very unusual for the entries to be in latin. i've been looking at registers fromt he 16th century till the revolution, and the only ones in latin are the 16th century.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      it's very unusual for the entries to be in latin. i've been looking at registers fromt he 16th century till the revolution, and the only ones in latin are the 16th century.
                      I was wondering if you meant English ones. It certainly isn't unusual in French ones - even much later ones but then mass was still being said in Latin in French Catholic churches into quite recently

Comment

well i guess where in france your looking at. the registers i've been using are brittany, sarthe and meuse.

Comment

Yes, I agree and perhaps the whim of the incumbant - how willing was he to communicate in a language the population could actually understand or just maintain the aura of mystery - in the same parish I have come across records that change from Latin to French and go back to Latin as the curé changes

Comment

thats very interesting. maybe it was a training thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X