Who do you think the father was?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you think the father was?

Elizabeth married Charles Meachen on 17 May 1785. But I have this parish register entry which is my transcript of the actual image:

Charles Meachen son of Elizabeth supposed wife of James Chinnery late Elizabeth Adcock (spinster) was born illegitimate the 30th November and baptised privately the 5th December.

It looks to me as though the child was to be known as Charles Meachen Chinnery, meaning that James Chinnery was to be known as his father - with the middle name of Meachen indicating the actual father.

Do you think that this is the correct reading of the entry??

Thanks!!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

No, I think that as he is illegitimate then either his father was not the "supposed husband" or else the parents were not married to each other, but difficult to tell which scenario!

(Meachen, eh? Not Meachens of Berwick on Tweed, by any chance?)

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - not quite what I wanted to hear, but thanks anyway!
      My Meachen's (also Meachin, Machin etc) hail from Norfolk - mostly the parish of Yaxham.

Thanks again!
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

how can she marry charles meachen but be noted as the wife of james chinnery?

Comment

Elizabeth was born Elizabeth Adcock.
          She was the supposed wife of James Chinnery first (I assume that to mean common-law wife) and had a child called Charles Meachen, Meachen being, I think, the middle name.
          Elizabeth then went on to marry Charles Meachen, Meachen being his surname.

To make matters more confusing, when he died he was buried as Charles Chinnery Meachen!
          Kind regards,
          William

Comment

he was probs known as charles chinnery meachen, because his mother was supposed to be married at his birth? how long after his birth did she marry his father?

Comment

Ah, I see the time line now and I would say you were correct in your first post
              Elizabeth was born an Adcock
              At some time she married Mr Chinnery or lived with him as common la wife
              She separated from Mr Chinnery and gave birth to baby Charles, son of Charles Meachen
              She took the baby to be baptised, giving him his father's name as christian names so officially he was Charles Meachen Chinnery. (Vicar was unconvinced that she had ever been married to Mr Chinnery hence "supposed wife")
              Once she married Mr Meachen all young Charles needed to do was to drop the use of the surname Chinnery (or move it to be his middle name)to appear to be legitimate.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith - I think I'll go with this interpretation
                Kind regards,
                William

Comment

Working...
                X