Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coroner's Reports how to find them

Hi,
    My father's death was subject to a coroner's inquest as he died from a road traffic accident, in 1967. Now that my mother has sadly passed away, I would like to try to locate, if possible a copy of the report, i have the coroner's name etc from the death cert and date of the inquest etc, but have no idea how i would go about trying to obtain a copy, assuming I can.

Any advice as always, much appreciated.

Paul
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

If any records survive and it is by no means certain they have, you can apply to the local court and I am sure they are public record so you should be able to have them but for a fee.

Have a look at this http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...eath/DG_066713

Margaret

Comment

Here's a quote from the booklet about Inquests

26. Is it possible to obtain a record of the inquest?
      26.1 Once an inquest has been completed, a properly interested
      person may apply to see the notes of evidence, any document
      put in evidence at the inquest, or a copy of any post-mortem
      examination report. Copies may be obtained following payment of
      a fee to the coroner. The notes may be in the form of a transcript
      from a tape-recording or the coroner’s own notes. The coroner’s
      notes may not be a full, verbatim record.

Comment

thanks Margaret thats really helpful i will have a quick look

Comment

Good luck - I obtained the coroner's report and full inquest records from my aunt's death - she died in 1978, and I applied for them in 2008. Like you, I had the coroner's details from the death certificate. I googled the court where the inquest was held, and wrote there (not an email). I gave my details, stated our relationship, and also told them that I'm not her next of kin, as my dad is still alive.
          I fully expected to receive back some kind of application form, along with details of fees and a request for proof of identity (that was if the records even still existed). About 4 weeks later, I got a large envelope through the post, containing all the paperwork. A brief letter was enclosed, saying thankyou for your enquiry, here is everything we hold on your aunt's death. There was no request for payment, or even a receipt to complete, and it came through normal post, not recorded delivery.
          I was very surprised to say the least, but also pleased and relieved to read the truth.
          I thought it was worth letting you know - you might also be that lucky (-:
          Darannon

Comment

Originally posted by darannon View Post
            Good luck - I obtained the coroner's report and full inquest records from my aunt's death - she died in 1978, and I applied for them in 2008. Like you, I had the coroner's details from the death certificate. I googled the court where the inquest was held, and wrote there (not an email). I gave my details, stated our relationship, and also told them that I'm not her next of kin, as my dad is still alive.
            I fully expected to receive back some kind of application form, along with details of fees and a request for proof of identity (that was if the records even still existed). About 4 weeks later, I got a large envelope through the post, containing all the paperwork. A brief letter was enclosed, saying thankyou for your enquiry, here is everything we hold on your aunt's death. There was no request for payment, or even a receipt to complete, and it came through normal post, not recorded delivery.
            I was very surprised to say the least, but also pleased and relieved to read the truth.
            I thought it was worth letting you know - you might also be that lucky (-:
            Darannon
            That's a marvellous example of customer service from a government department - well done!
            Margaret

Comment

Thanks Darannon fingers crossed I get the same kind of service I will let you know how I get on

Comment

Working...
              X