Flag and Anchor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag and Anchor.

If a man in his late 20's early 30's in 1850 had a flag and anchor tattoo on his forearm, would it be safe to assume he may have served in the navy? Could have been the French or English Navy.....not sure yet. He was a BS born in France......was around the time of the Napoleonic wars?? And could it be possible he may have come from America back into England in time for the 1861 census......?

I have to leave laptop for a while, so am not ignoring and response, will get back later.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

The Napoleonic wars are generally considered to have ended in 1815. The tattoo could mean he was in the navy, but could mean he was a seaman or just liked the pattern!
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Thank you webwiz..... I thought the Napoleonic wars were earlier but wasn't too sure......I was afraid it may just have been a fancy to have the tattoo. I know he was born France and had siblings who I think may have remained there. However, he came back to England and married raised a family and died here. But on the first census I find him in 1861, he states he came from America? Hence the reason for my question....just trying to find any missing pieces of his life really.......although as well as the flag and anchor tattoo, he did have a scar on his left cheek, had his ears pierced and walked with a limp due to a broken right knee........and I wondered whether he may not have got these at sea in some capacity?? His given trade was Blacksmith and Cooper, could there be an association there? perhaps making/repairing barrels aboard ship??
      Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 28-11-11, 18:56. Reason: spelling
      Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
        His given trade was Blacksmith and Cooper, could there be an association there? perhaps making/repairing barrels aboard ship??
        Not necessarily barrels. Ships' masts had iron bands round them at various points and there was all sorts of miscellaneous ironwork on board, which would need repairing, particularly if the ship was caught in a storm.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you UJ it does sound plausible the association as such, though not enough in itself to prove much. My first thought when I discovered his physical description was that he sounded more like a pirate. So imagining him in the right timeline and using that desciption, I started to wonder about the seafaring aspect......he would have still been single then, so it may be possible he did see something of America before returning to England for the 1861 census.....marrying later in that same year. I know I'm grasping at straws, trying to build a picture and fill in gaps......I don't even know if there is any way of proving it going that far back.
          Jen

Comment

I have been googling the Flag & Anchor tattoo and alot of images are coming up for the 'American flag and anchor'.. but I can't seem to find anything that might give a reason for said Tattoo
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

whats his name Jen?
              Julie

Comment

Hi Julie, I never thought of doing that myself......it's my French born great grandfather William Henry Tyson julie. It really bugs me that he is down on the 1861 census as being born in America....I thought that may be fantasy on his part.....but since finding his description my brother suggested he may have served at sea at some pont given the flag and anchor tattoo, pierced ears and scar etc.....so it's just another avenue I'm exploring.
                Jen

Comment

have you got him on all census till he dies Jen? I dont mind having a look if you like
                  Julie

Comment

Yes I have him on the census' Julie thanks, he died in 1888 in Manchester.
                    The French spelling of his name was actually Touson spelt Tyson in England....in case it's confusing anyone.
                    I even have his baptism in St Omer Calais in 1829, which I viewed on Fiche at Balham.
                    So do have a lot of the main details on him......was simplu queerying this 'so called' America connection.....don't know how he would have got there otherwise....
                    Jen

Comment

hmmn I have been googling again..lol

have you seen this??

Julie

Comment

No I haven't actually seen that before Julie thanks, though I have been in touch with Ian for about 3 yrs now, along with our other cousin from the Tyson line (there are 3 of us researching this line). Ian's wife is actually the descendant of WHT but it's Ian doing the research.
                        We have moved on quite a bit since then so Ian does have all this info now. Those posts are obviously part of his earlier research, when we had not had contact. Interesting to read though. His wife is descended from WHT's second daughter and I am descended from his first daughter (eldest child) Elizabeth the one mentioned in his posts.
                        Jen

Comment

mm I know..lol, I read it and then clicked, when I saw the name Chandler...:smilee:
                          Julie

Comment

Yes we're a lot further on with the Chandler's since then too Julie.
                            Jen

Comment

I dont spose you know what the flag was?

Comment

No I don't Heather ,that's something I never considered, it would help if I knew that maybe. It was a physical description obtained from a prison record, which simply recorded flag and anchor.
                                Jen

Comment

Working...
                                X