a new name ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a new name ?

I can't believe this but ..............I think I might be the first Halls to be involved in active research.
    I'm trying to find out whether or not my grandfather, Arthur Halls, born 1890 to Elizabeth Halls living at 83 Castle St Saffron Walden, was born legitimately. I have plenty of info about the family but there is no father's name on his birth certificate !
    Help !

John Halls.

Welcome to the forum John.

If the birth certificate shows no father then it's highly probable he was illegitimate - not uncommon unfortunately!
    Have you found Arthur and mother Elizabeth on the 1891 census - is she listed as married or unmarried?
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,
      In the 1891 census Elizabeth was living with her father John Jarvis and her son Arthur who was one year old.
      She was listed as daughter. At this point she was a domestic servant to Robert Wills an accountant !!!!
      She married John Halls May 25th 1895 and had three more children Earnest Winifred and James. James was killed near Ypres and awarded the D.C.M for conspicuous gallantry.
      I suppose I knew already that Arthur was illegitimate but does that mean my Great Grandfather is Robert Wills???

fella

Comment

Can you give the reference for the 1891 census?
        Elaine

Comment

Is this the 1891 census? I was looking for Elizabeth & Arthur Halls .. not Jarvis!

RG12; Piece: 1433; Folio 71; Page 7

Originally posted by fella View Post
          I suppose I knew already that Arthur was illegitimate but does that mean my Great Grandfather is Robert Wills???
          Do you have any evidence to support this?
          Elaine

Comment

Not an ounce. I am working on the theory that John Halls was the father and returned from the war and married Elizabeth.
            At present I can't find the army records for John Halls. Their marriage certificate shows they were married at the Parish Church in the Saffron Walden May 25th 1895.
            Last edited by fella; 25-11-11, 14:06.

Comment

When and where was John Halls born.
              Do you know which regiment was he in?
              Have you checked Findmypast for possible service records?
              Elaine

Comment

1867 in the Saffron Walden area.
                2nd Norfolk regiment
                How do I get to Findmypast , is it free?

Comment

Findmypast is a subscription site, or you can view records by purchasing credits.
                  Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

They have a collection of Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records from 1760-1913 and Militia Service Records 1806-1915.

There are a couple of John Halls, born in Saffron Walden, but they don't match a birth date of c1867.
                  Elaine

Comment

Apparently John Halls died in South Africa of enteric fever during the South African war. Also he seems to have been a post-man.
                    I'm not sure about his place of birth. Are the dates you have very close to 1867?
                    Last edited by fella; 25-11-11, 16:38.

Comment

You may be able to access FMP at your local library or Family History Centre at no charge to you (the institution would pick up the charge)

Comment

I'm confused (this happens easily :D)
                        You say your grandfather was Arthur Halls born to Elizabeth Halls but they were with her father John Jarvis in the 1891 census. Does his birth certificate give his mother's name as Jarvis or Halls?
                        I've found a birth listed in Q1 1890 in Saffron Walden for Arthur Nathaniel JARVIS
                        and in Q2 1889 for Arthur Edward HALLS.
                        Which of these 2 is your ancestor?
                        On the 1891 census there was an Elizabeth JARVIS with father John Jarvis in Saffron Walden, with Arthur JARVIS aged 1 also in the household. (the one Elaine found above) This is probably Arthur Nathaniel Jarvis.
                        There was also an Arthur HALLS aged 1 in Saffron Walden with parents Edward and Elizabeth HALLS. RG12 piece 1434 folio 52 page 25. I guess this is the child registered as Arthur Edward Halls
                        Which, if either, of these is your ancestor?
                        In neither of these entries was Elizabeth listed as a servant of Robert Wills, where did you get that info?
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Apparently John Halls died in South Africa of enteric fever during the South African war. Also he seems to have been a post-man.
                          I'm not sure about his place of birth. Are the dates you have very close to 1867?
                          You can do a search on Findmypast to see what records are available - this was the dataset I was looking at:
                          Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

If you find anything useful then you need to subscribe or purchase credits to view the results.
                          Elaine

Comment

If he was in the Boer War then you might find something in this dataset

- or use this one which searches ALL of the FMP military records
                            Elaine

Comment

If he died in service then it's VERY unlikely that there will be a service record for him.
                              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I'm doubly confused because the marriage seems to be a James John Halls to Elizabeth Jarvis. So why are we looking for a John?
                                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-11-11, 17:41.
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

My Grandfather was named Nathaniel Arthur. His mother was Elizabeth Jarvis.
                                  In RG11/1818 she is listed as a servant.
                                  I am now certain that ,
                                  1. My grandfather was born out of wedlock.
                                  2. This was before James John Halls arrived., who gave his name to my grandfather.
                                  3. The my great grandfather is very likely to be a member of the Wills family.

Many thanks to those of you who have given help so readily.

Fella
                                  Last edited by fella; 25-11-11, 19:07.

Comment

My Grandfather was named Nathaniel Arthur. His mother was Elizabeth Jarvis.
                                    In RG11/1818 she is listed as a servant.
                                    I am now certain that ,
                                    1. My grandfather was born out of wedlock.
                                    2. This was before James John Halls arrived., who gave his name to my grandfather.
                                    3. The my great grandfather is very likely to be a member of the Wills family.

Many thanks to those of you who have given help so readily.

Fella
                                    He is unlikely to be James John Halls son as the marriage was 5 years later but equally if the only link to Robert Wills is that Elizabeth was his servant in 1881 - 9 years before Arthur was born he is not very likely to be the father. A lot will have happened to her in those 9 years and she will have met many young men more likely to be Arthur's father than a married 50+ year old accountant (Robert was 53 on the 1891 census), even if she was still in his employ then.
                                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Yes , very interesting idea. As you say, however, James John is not my paternal great grandfather.

Now to introduce a different topic.

When I was very young my mother was forced to leave me and until now I have felt no need to seek her out . However now, since the opportunity appears to be on hand, I shall try.
                                      This will be difficult however since all I have is a photograph of her with the address of the photographer on the back who appears to have been in Stockport.
                                      Her maiden name was name removed - possible living person. She married my father in York in 12th May 1937 aged 24. She was in 'digs' at the time. That is all the information I have apart from the fact that she had another child named N......... who was about four or five years younger than me.
                                      Impossible???
                                      fella
                                      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-11-11, 00:23. Reason: name removed - possible living person

Comment

Fella

Not quite sure what you want - your mother will be 98 if she is still alive.

Do you wish to find out what happened to her, or do you wish to go backwards with her parents?

I have had a quick look but cannot see anyone called N......... born to anyone with your mother's married name or her maiden name. Where did you get the name N......... from?

OC
                                        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-11-11, 00:23. Reason: name removed

Comment

Working...
                                        X