Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Married twice in two years - same people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married twice in two years - same people?

Bit of a problem here with an ancestor. These entries can be seen on Ancestry.

Rebecca Rayment (spinster) and William Craft (bachelor) both of the parish of MEOT (Mile End Old Town) married on 14 Sept 1818 at Stepney St Dunstan and all Saints by Banns. From her baptism entry and various censuses, I worked her age out to be 19. She was born 17 Jan 1799 Aldgate. (The signature on this marriage entry matches a much later signature when she remarries later on in life at age of 62 to her 28 year old barman!).

Snag is, I find a second marriage two years later on 25 Mar 1820 for the same names Rebecca Rayment and William Craft "of St Leonard Foster" at Christchurch Newgate (City of London) – by Banns - it included Rebecca's father's name - James - (my Rebecca does have a father James who is a victualler). Was a bishops transcript so could not compare signatures.

Baptisms of four children to parents with these names between 1819 and 1827 at Spitalfields Christchurch. Occupation Carpenter. First three abode is Queen Street, fourth is Brick Lane.

The fifth one was born at St Matthew, Bethnal Green and father's occupation is Victualler. Brick Lane. (Remained one to end of his days).

Only thing I have thought of so far is that perhaps she didn’t have her parents’ permission for the first marriage so they worried it might be invalid and cause problems later on. Or is it just one big coincidence and they actually are different people?

Can anyone help... !

Nickie

Was William in the Army at all Nickie?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have this in OH's tree:
      Licence: 20 Nov 1811 - [Lambeth Palace Library; SoG-FacultyOff M-Lic Allegns 1701-1850]
      m2a 1811 Sarah CASTLE, Shoreditch, St Leonard's [Pallot's Mrg Ind] 21 Nov 1811 (Licence; witnesses John Garth? & Sarah Couslk??) &
      m2b 1 SEP 1812 (Banns; witnesses: Mary Coutts & G… L…ing) [M040802] both by Robert Crosby [PR p193 & 326]

The bride & groom are the same, and even the church is the same. The only difference is that the first ceremony was based on a licence, and the second on banns. I can only imagine that there was some other problem and they re-married to make sure that the ceremony was fully legal.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No Julie, pretty sure not. A licensed victualler till he died - but appears to have started off a carpenter. His wife was raised the daughter of publicans, so maybe that's why they changed. Puzzling!

Comment

maybe its because she is under 21 on the first marriage and didn't have permission to marry?

Comment

Being underage does not invalidate a marriage, nor does marrying without parental permission.

But of course, the couple may have THOUGHT their marriage was invalid, so decided to marry again. Technically, they were committing bigamy, lol.

OC

Comment

Oooh, I've just realised something!

Heather PT is down the page with a very similar query for the same church (St Dunstans) although hers is baptisms being done twice. Wonder if there was something odd about the record keeping at St Dunstans?

OC

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. Looking like it could be the under age without parents' permission on first marriage - but let me know if anything else occurs. They went on to be licensed victuallers - I guess you would need to be sure you were "legal" for any paperwork that comes with that - will look into it.

This was my first post here. Can't believe how quick you all are!!

Nickie

Comment

Welcome to FTF, then, Nickie. And good to know you're pleased with the response you've had. If you browse around other areas of the site you might see evidence of other successes achieved here by the pooling of expertise.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have a lot of complaints about the record keeping at St Dunstans...

Comment

are you sure they actually married in 1818? maybe the banns were called and the marriage didn't take place. i've seen that happen in registers before. or maybe it's similar to christine, one is banns, and the later could be by license. maybe the bride's family's circumstance got better and they wanted some sort of pre nup?

Comment

The 1818 banns entry has the banns and in the margin is "Md Sepr 14 1818" so I see no reason to doubt the marriage took place.

(The 1820 entry has no refereence to a James though, witnesses are L Betten & M Betten.)

I aslo have a marriage like this for a girl of 20 by licence on one side of London followed by one the following year to the same man in her home parish by banns when she had turned 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                          The 1818 banns entry has the banns and in the margin is "Md Sepr 14 1818" so I see no reason to doubt the marriage took place.

(The 1820 entry has no refereence to a James though, witnesses are L Betten & M Betten.)

I aslo have a marriage like this for a girl of 20 by licence on one side of London followed by one the following year to the same man in her home parish by banns when she had turned 21.
                          Sorry about my bit about "James". My mind reading what I wanted to read: instead of "of James" it is actually "by banns" - on another register of banns!

I will have to go and double-check early censuses for other Crafts / Crofts in case there really were two different lots. Thanks for input.

Nickie

Comment

Working...
                          X