Ancestry London Burial & Probate look up needed: William Woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry London Burial & Probate look up needed: William Woods

Could someone please look up William Woods born 1807 City of London and possibly died Oct 1866 City of London.

This is him in 1861:

William Woods b1807 London City. Unmarried. Journeyman tailor.
    Living with family of Joseph Wild.

1 Little Grays Inn La. Civil par: Holborn St Andrew
    Ecc par: Trinity Reg district: Holborn Sub-reg district: St Andrew Eastern

There is an entry for William Woods Probate in 1866 on Ancestry. Could you copy the entry for me if it looks to be him.

Also does he appear in London Burials on Ancestry?

Many thanks.
    Liz

Don't think it's him. There are two William Woods who died in 1866, one in Paddington, Middlesex and one in Surbiton, Surrey, but they were both gentlemen, and married (according to the National Probate Calendar). There's also a WW born c. 1807 who died in 1864 in Pentonville, but he was a married grocer according to the NPC.

There are no other burials with the right age +/- 5 years between 1861 and 1881.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 24-11-11, 17:40.

Comment

Thank you very much Mary. I haven't got subs now to Ancestry - but when I did, I am sure I couldn't find my Wm Woods in 1871 or subsequent census records. If you have a moment, could you just double check for me.
      Liz

Comment

Mary - I had thought this Wm Woods in 1841 was my man because he had an unmarried sister, Eleanor Woods born about 1809. She married Wm Standen by 1851 census and eventually moved to Eastbourne, then Isle of Wight.

It is likely that this is a man, wife and their son so probably not my Wm - drat:

? 1841 William Woods Junior b1810. Hardware man
        Eleanor Woods b1810 Middx
        William Woods 5 b1836
        George Brown 18 ? Apprentice; Catherine Hughes 30 Servant

76 Newgate St Civil par: Christchurch Hundred: London Within the Walls, Middx
        Reg district: London Sub-reg district: London N.W.

I noticed there was a London Marriage on Ancestry between a Wm Woods and an Eleanor Bermingham (not on IGI).
        I wondered if the Wm Woods who was a grocer who you found was this one in 1841. Profession fits better than my Wm who was a tailor in 1851. I imagine Wm had to serve an apprenticeship to be a tailor?
        Liz

Comment

I found the marriage of William Woods and Eleanor Bermingham, but there's no occupation given. He signs himself "William Woods the younger", so his father was presumably William too. This makes him a good match for the hardware man you found in 1841.

William the grocer died in 1864 aged 57, and left a widow Catherine. He lived at 45 Penton Street, Pentonville.

There are a couple of possible deaths for Eleanor, but no marriage to Catherine Hughes.

I think a tailor would have to serve an apprenticeship, yes.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 24-11-11, 19:23.

Comment

Thanks Mary. I am just trying to tidy up all this early research as a new member on FTF is a member of this branch of my tree.
            Liz

Comment

This is my Wm Woods in 1851 with same family and at same address as in 1861: As Joseph Wild's wife was born out of London, not likely to be a relative of William Woods.

1851 Visitor: William b1807 St Stephen Colemans St City. Unmarried. Tailor.
              with:
              Joseph Wild 28 b1823 Dyer.
              Sophia 27 b1824 Westbury, Wilts.
              Martha 6 b1845
              James 4 b1847 Joseph 2 b1849
              Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 25-11-11, 06:50.
              Liz

Comment

Mary or anyone else visiting this thread

Can you read the profession of Maria Barker (nee Woods) in this census - thanks.

1871 Head: Eleanor Standen b1810 London. Widow. Lodging house keeper.

Sister: Maria Barker b1803 London. Widow. Retired……..?

Sister: Mary A Woods b1800 “ Unmarried. Housekeeper

? 1 Devonshire St. Civil par/town: Ventnor, Hamps.
                Ecc par: St Catherine Reg district: Isle Of Wight Sub-reg district: Godshill.

Trying to fit some jigsaw pieces together here...
                Liz

Comment

Retired nurse, I think.

Comment

Thanks Mary...
                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                    X