Inspector of Scavengers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspector of Scavengers

On a Marriage Cerificate in 1878, the Grooms occupation is that of "Inspector of Scavengers."
    I can only guess what it entails but can anyone be more specific?

One definition of "scavengers" referred to the night soil cart men (responsible for cleaning out the outside privvies.) Perhaps an inspector was the man who supervised their work/ensured they did their job appropriately??

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Gosh Janet, my stomach churns at the thought of it but hey, someone had to do it.

Comment

Scavengers crawled beneath clattering machines to pick up scraps of cotton.

another type of scavenger

Comment

Scavengers were also the people who kept the streets clean. It was organised on a contractual basis and very lucrative it was too for the men who got the contracts. The authorities had a constant battle to get them to do what they were meant to do and presumably had inspectors to enforce the contracts.

Comment

I'm a lot wiser now Val & Lindsay. My original perception was of an unsavoury kind but your suggestions are those of honest livings if not the choicest.

Comment

Dictionary of Old Occupations index page. The A-Z lists in this glossary show name and definitions for well over two thousand old occupations, jobs, trades and professions researched by Jane Hewitt.

this site is interesting

Comment

That's a very useful Site Val, added to 'favourites'

Comment

Working...
                X