What happens to records...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to records...

If a marriage proves to be bigamous what happens to the GRO records. Are the entries removed?
    Thanks.
    Cath.

Records are never removed but a bigamous marriage will be suppressed - if the GRO has been informed that the marriage is a bigamous one!

However, we have discussed this subject many times and several people have managed to obtain copies of bigamous marriages which OUGHT to have been suppressed, but weren't, for some reason.

I am not sure what happens to the marriage record in the church registers - again, whatever happens to the record depends on the church being informed that the marriage was a bigamous one (and what they decide to do about that record, I suppose).

OC

Comment

Thanks OC
      Cath.

Comment

Elsewhere I've resurrected my old thread about a potentially bigamous marriage in 1904. I've now found the bride in 1911 as a spinster and have never found any record of the groom before or after the marriage. He arrived from Mars, married and went back to Mars.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Our problem is , we know our man served 18 months for bigamy from documents found in family papers but don't know exactly when, or which of his aliases he was using at he time. Quite a problem?
          Cath.

Comment

Working...
          X