German Towns - any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Towns - any ideas

I have managed to trace the death registration of my 5x GGm, Maria Elisabeth van Deventer, in Leeuwarden in the Netherlands - their records have lots of wonderful info. She died on 29/6/1829 aged 84, so she would have been born ca 1745. Her place of birth is recorded as "Zoust, Duitschland", unfortunately parents unknown.

I've tried googling for Zoust, but nothing comes up. As her surname is Van Deventer, which is a reasonably common Dutch name, I am wondering if the town is near to the german-dutch border.

Anybody got any ideas (calling on Grey :D)

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

there is a town called zeist, near utrecht in the netherlands. not too far from the german border.

Comment

there was an artist known as 'zoust', but his surname was actually 'soust', googling that brings up a town called 'soest' in the netherlands, which is not far from 'zeist', but closer to the border.

Comment

Ooh, there is also a Soest in Germany, not too far from the border with Netherlands - that is looking quite good. Thanks Kyle, will do a bit more digging into that.
        Linda

Comment

The borders in that area of mainland Europe have always been very fluid. An area known as "High Germany" roughly equates to the modern Low Countries.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
            The borders in that area of mainland Europe have always been very fluid. An area known as "High Germany" roughly equates to the modern Low Countries.
            Is that the "High Germany" of the soldier-type folk songs?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Is that the "High Germany" of the soldier-type folk songs?
              It was a radio programme of that ilk many many moons ago that gave me the information in the first place!
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Aaahhh!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi ozgirl,

try the German town of "Soest" which is close to the Dutch - Belgian border.

regards

bg

Comment

Hi bg, I was hoping that might be the one!
                    Linda

Comment

I don't know if this will help, copied it from Wikipedia.

Soest [zo ː st] (Soest / i) is the county town of the district in the administrative district of Arnsberg in North Rhine-Westphalia. In each case approximately 50 km east of Dortmund and Paderborn west of town in the fertile Soester Plain live in today, some 48,000 inhabitants. In addition to the core city with more than 30,000 inhabitants, the rest of the population is spread over the surrounding districts.

Comment

Working...
                      X