Baptised twice - I know I should be aware why but Im not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptised twice - I know I should be aware why but Im not

Ive often seen headings asking about this but its never been of relevance til now. Help please

Ive just found three kids (1790s) being baptised once in All Saints Poplar and then again, a week later or so, in St Dunstans, Stepney. All three at different times/years to same parents. It says father is a lighterman in Poplar so why have them done again in Stepney?

Could one church have been a chapelry and the other the mother church?

I've quite a few instances of random second baptisms, but yours seem to follow a pattern, with each child in turn being bp twice.

Jay

ETA - with the follow on being just one week later, it could be that the event was recorded for a second time, rather than there having been a second baptism.
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-11-11, 13:07.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Bit strange isnt it. Seeing as this bloke had a total of 17 kids!!! with two wives and yet it only happened with this few. Thanks Jay.

Comment

Just thinking aloud, but maybe they did it to please/due to pressure from grandparents or similar? Maybe one church was local to where the parents/children lived and the other local to the grandparents?

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

i was going to say the same thing, that the parents were from separate parishes. another thought might be they were non conformist for a while, and had them done in both churches.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            i was going to say the same thing ....
            So it's either:

Great minds think alike

or

Fools seldom differ

I think we'll go for the Great Minds one, eh?

STG
            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

The usual explanations (some of which clearly won't work here) are:

1] It's different families with the same names (exasperatingly, families will keep using the same names, so you get cousins with matching names, and even children given the same name as a preceding sibling who'd died).

2] the family wanted to maximise the chances of getting parish support in the event of sliding into poverty.

3] the earlier baptism was an emergency baptism, and the second not a baptism but the reception into church - though that depends on it being the same parish.

The suggestions above are certainly not to be ruled out... According to the rules, it's actually a heresy (seriously against church rules) to be baptised twice.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just a thought, not knowing anything about the two churches I checked their Wikipedia pages.
                It was interesting to note that St. Dunstan's was linked to the sea and sailors.

I wonder if their was any charitable benefit for those connected with the sea at St Dunstan's.
                Or perhaps the father thought the three might become sailors rather than lightermen (if they were boys). ;)
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                X