looking for Joseph Thorp 1785 worksop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for Joseph Thorp 1785 worksop

Can anyone help please, I'm looking for the baptism of Joseph Thorp 1785 and possibly an elder brother James Thorp. When both men being dicharged from the navy in early 1800's, they on the same day both stated they were born in Worksop Nottingham. They were however enlisted or pressed into the navy in Manchester Joseph said he was a weaver,and James a tailor. I found them both living in the same place in Brightlingsea Essex when looking for my G G G G GRANDMOTHER Sarah Thorp she stated that she was born in Essex, and I tracked her to Brightlingsea finding her father Joseph marrying Amy Barns a widow with four children. I had found Joseph when looking on the net at TRAFALGAR ANCESTORS at Kew he actually fought at Trafalgar on The Belleisle as a marine and survived. So if anyone is reading this and has an ancestor who could have been around in 1805 take a look at that website I did and got lucky.. I have noticed when looking on a map of the Worksop area it is very near other counties, perhaps he was baptised in Derbyshire or even Yorkshire what does anyone else think.

This is my very first attempt at this sort of thing, I hope I haven't been too boring with my story. daisydaisy

Hello Daisy,

welcome to the forum

I have had a look and can't seem to find them in the census, Do you subscribe to Ancestry at all? I did note a couple of trees that have Joseph in.

I have checked the LDS site and come across a cluster of Thorps in Worksop, Worksop has a very big church there! (Priory, St Marys)

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

these seem abit early but there might be more if you add the 'e' on the end.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thank you for replying to my question about Joseph Thorpe . I hadn't finished the whole story, in my search for Joseph's birth or death in Essex, this was before I found the connection to Worksop. I visited Brightlingsea as that was where his daughter and siblngs were baptised,I knew that Joseph had died before Sarah married in Newington as she states father deceased on her marriage certificate that was in Oct. 1840. I could not however find his death in the records, that was until I met Alf Wakeling since deceased he was a very keen family history expert for brightlingsea,and informed me that if someone died at sea and there was no body,found he wasn't recorded by the church.I had never thought of that anyway when we returned home two days later from Essex there was a message on the computer from Alf, he had looked at his copy of The Salvagers written by Hervey Benham, and there was my Joseph in it . He had drowned of the Spitway trying to rescue a boat leaving a wife and eight children. I never found James Thorps death either so probably a similar fate happened to him also. It was after that, I first visited Kew and found the discharge papers recorded for the two of them, I was reading about these two men blue eyes and fair hair and my Joseph was only about 5ft.2 and one half inches , and he was being let go because he was too short it had only taken the navy 7 years to find this out. I did manage to follow Sarah his daughter thru. the census right to her deathin 1900. I will have to try and get to nottingham sometime to look at the records maybe in the New Year,my fear is though they said Worsop because it was maybe a lot bigger than where they may have been born,and they also may have had other reasons who's to know.

Anyway thank you anyone who might read this and give it some thought. Goodnight Daisy.

Comment

on the discharge papers did it mention any other family members? I don't suppose it mentions a father?
        Sometimes when they marry their childrens names can be a clue as to their parents names also.

do you have any idea what year James was born?

Worksop is a pretty big Town and it does border S/Yorkshire.
        Julie

Comment

Hi Thanks once again for your messages. James Thorp was born 1780, he also says Worksop and he was a tailor, he didn't enter the navy the same time as Joseph, he attested in 1810 that's 5 years after Joseph, yet they both leave on the same day 18th July 1814. It makes my mind boggle to think that they were probably keeping in touch somehow. I wonder if they could read or write even, No family members are mentioned, but Joseph haD four daughters, first one was Elizabeth then Ann then Sarah and Susannah who was only a few months when Joseph was drowned. I know that names run in families Amy, Josephs wife already had an Amy, with her first husband, and also her mother was Amy the point I'm trying to make is that maybe Elizabeth his first born may be named after someone in his family, As Amy was already taken. By the way after Joseph, Amy married again a John Herbert and had two more children, I traced four of the children to the area of Newington London ,which was Surrey in those days. James Thorp also signed on in Manchester the same as Joseph,I haven't found out as much about James in the Navy as he wasn't at Trafalgar, nothing is recorded for you , you have to research it all from scratch. I don.t know if you have been to Kew but me personally, I do not find the records very easy to search.

Il will say goodnight for now Daisy

Comment

not having much luck daisy,

though working on the premise that they were born in Manchester I have found something interesting

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

it might be that James was actually a cousin to Joseph and the connection to Worksop might be a little further back (ie, Josephs parents)

you will need to go through the pages to see both James/Joseph but, its more of a connection than you previously had. maybe trying to expand on this might hold more clues?

and no, I havent been to Kew, though I would like to go sometime.. as I live in Nottinghamshire, its a bit of a trek.
            Julie

Comment

Hi Thanks again for your trouble, I have looked at Nottingham on Familysearch before,Icant remember if I did Lancs.,so , will give it a go as you suggest , did you think they were both born in Mch.,or just James, it isnt too far cross country,about 60 miles as the crow flies. I did want to ask you something else Joseph said he had been a weaver before the navy,and James a tailor, did they have to have indentures or apprenticeship or something could there be some records for that sort of thing if Joseph was born in 1785 ,in 1795 he would have been about 10 years, do you think that would be about right, if not Joseph, James was a tailor which I would say was more of a skill he would have had to be trained , if you know of any institution that has records perhaps in Notts even, maybe he got shipped to Mch to another mill . This is all if's and but's, but I do appreciate talking to you about it, and to get another opinion Many Thanks.

Daisy

Comment

When I first read your post I initally thought that a 'weaver' and a 'tailor' are more likely to be Lancashire industries. Nottinghamshire, i'd say would be primarily Mining and Framework knitting, I would think that if there was any indentures/apprenticeship records then, they would be in the place that they were living/working before they were enlisted. IF they were apprenticed/indentured in Nottinghamshire then Nottinghamshire Archives would be the place to look, same as if they were in Manchester, presumably that would be Manchester Archives, if you click on the link below, it takes you into our Reference library which has a Lancashire page, if you scroll down to Manchester, you will see some links there that might help you a little bit more, (I did notice one about textiles/mills in Manchester)

Julie

Comment

Hi Daisy, I was really interested to stumble across this post via a Google search as Joseph Thorp(e) b1795 in Brightlingsea was my 4x great grandfather. His daughter Ann Thorpe b1819 in Brightlingsea is my 3x great grandmother and sister to your 4x great grandmother Sarah Thorp(e).

I was also absolutely fascinated to read your information regarding Joseph's involvement at the Battle of Trafalgar, which is a story I had also heard from another distant cousin who contacted me some years ago.

I have been researching my tree for about 15 years and my research today has taken me back to my Thorpe ancestors so I was delighted to come across this forum. I can see from the date of your original posts that they were posted about eight years but I wonder whether you are still on this site and would be happy to get in touch?

It would be really good to hear from you.

Kind regards
                  Jean

Comment

Originally posted by jfbsdb View Post
                    Hi Daisy, I was really interested to stumble across this post via a Google search as Joseph Thorp(e) b1795 in Brightlingsea was my 4x great grandfather. His daughter Ann Thorpe b1819 in Brightlingsea is my 3x great grandmother and sister to your 4x great grandmother Sarah Thorp(e).

I was also absolutely fascinated to read your information regarding Joseph's involvement at the Battle of Trafalgar, which is a story I had also heard from another distant cousin who contacted me some years ago.

I have been researching my tree for about 15 years and my research today has taken me back to my Thorpe ancestors so I was delighted to come across this forum. I can see from the date of your original posts that they were posted about eight years but I wonder whether you are still on this site and would be happy to get in touch?

It would be really good to hear from you.

Kind regards
                    Jean
                    it doesn't look like DaisyDaisy has visited in a long time - you might want to try and message her, as she won't know that you have replied to her post.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                    X