Another Jewish question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Jewish question

As you are all too painfully aware, my gggg grandfather, Lyon Asher, came from "Germany" to England sometime between 1786 & 1820 & settled in Nottingham. His son, Jacob, as far as I can see, spent all of his life in Nottingham, except for the fact that one of his children was born in Birmingham. As far as I can see, there were no connections with Birmingham on his wife's side. The time when his son was born in Bham coincides with the time a lot of Ashers arrived there from "Prussia"...on the previous census there had been none. This could just be a coincidence of course, but I'd be interested to know from our Jewish experts if there was likely to have been a link. The thing is, by the time the Ashers arrived in Bham, there's likely to be a much greater chance of finding details from shipping lists etc.....are they likely to be relatives or from the same area ?

Scotland and Nottingham are the main places for the Asher surname in 1881

nothing for Birmingham

Edna

Comment

i know you want to get them sorted grey, and please don't take offense with this, but maybe you should take a break from this branch? it seems to be doing your head in, and i know that feeling. i've had a similar job with my shaws, but the minute i stopped looking at them, i found a piece of info that was handy! maybe take a break, and when you arn't focusing on them, you will hit that breakthrough!

Comment

Thanks to both of you....no, there weren't many Ashers in Bham, Edna, but I thought I'd found a few families on the census, whereas there were none before (probably wrong)

No offence taken at all, kylejustin. Need something to occupy my mind at the moment, but there are lots of circles here. Think I'll try something more simple....like trying to work out the meaning of life

Comment

haha grey, i like that one!

Comment

Suppose I'll have to post that one on the "General Discussion" board

Comment

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...e%3Abirmingham~
              I just put Asher and Birmingham into familysearch and all this came up, I know yours are Jewish but take a look and see what is there.

Edna

Comment

Thanks very much, Edna.......by far the vast majority of Ashers in Britain have Jewish origins....they were coming over in dribs & drabs long before the main immigration of the nineteenth century....&, of course, a lot of them had anglicised their names before the main flow started.

Comment

Working...
                X