likely burial in 1901?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• likely burial in 1901?

i have been reading many threads lately on finding an ancestor's burial place. i was wondering, what cemetary is it likely someone who died in christ church, southwark would be buried in 1901? i have the death cert, but i cannot locate this person in the census. they are not at the death address. i guess i'm hoping they would be with other family members, but as the mother and sister left london, it is most likely maternal grandparents.

i could be wrong but the cemeteries could just be Nunhead Cemetery SE15 or Camberwell Old Cemetery Forest Hill Road SE22 or Brockley and Ladywell Cemetery SE4. Although, found this on Southwark Council's website the other day...they are asking residence what to do with the getting full cemeteries in the area and gave them 8 options.... one i hoped was not to re-use public or private graves... the link is here... Southwark Council
    Craig

Comment

Kyle, would you mind posting the person's name? I'm sure people could do look-ups for you.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

his name is ernest james conway, who died 21 oct 1901. i assume his mother was buried in leeds, and his sister in her old age lived in sussex. im kind of hoping he was buried with some sort of relative, but i know that's a long shot.

Comment

He's not showing up so far. I've looked at the NBI, Deceased on Line and FreeReg.
          I'll have another look this afternoon.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

thanx elizabeth, i dont expect him to show any lists. thats why im thinking of the cemeteries he may be in.

Comment

might have been cremated..???
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

would they done cremations that early julie? i was surprised to learn my great grandparents were all cremated, and that's the 60's/70's. i was under the impression cremations were relatively new. i mean obviously the vikings did it and all, but i thought the religious idea was to be buried in the ground?

Comment

if you scroll down this page to the heading: First Cremation

Julie

Comment

thanx julie, fascinating, and way earlier than i ever thought!

Comment

I know what you mean, it did surprise me too, but, it is something to consider.
                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                      X