Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Close - Fairlight

Hi,

My Grandparents lived at "emohruo" (Our home spelt backwards)
    The Close, Fairlight, East Sussex, in the 1940's. I have been trying
    to find out what number they lived at. The Royal mail address
    website finder only shows numbers.

Does anyone possibly know that area, or could kindly point
    me in the direction of help ?

Cheers,

Clare

Did they have a telephone?
    If so they may be listed in the old phone books on Ancestry?

Comment

The Electoral Roll would show what number in the street they were. These are available in the local library.
      Margaret

Comment

I'm not sure if they had a telephone, as my grandparents and father
        are no longer with us.

Thank you for the suggestion of Electoral roll, I will need to take a trip
        to the local area, or send my Mum there when she visits that part of
        the area

Clare

Comment

Originally posted by littlemoo View Post
          I'm not sure if they had a telephone, as my grandparents and father
          are no longer with us.

Thank you for the suggestion of Electoral roll, I will need to take a trip
          to the local area, or send my Mum there when she visits that part of
          the area

Clare
          You could email the local library as they are sometimes happy to do a look up for you. You will need to give your grandparents names and the years they were living there.

I had a look on google maps for a street view in case you could recognise the house and work out what number it might be but there is not much to see from the road as the hedges are high, but maybe look at the satellite view - if you know where the house was in the street you might be able to work it out.
          Margaret

Comment

Another though - was your mother born at that address? If so it may show on her birth certificate as the address of the parents.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

They were my Paternal Grandparents. My father was born at the Fernbank
              Nursing home in Hastings, which is no longer there. My Mum found my
              Fathers birth certificate showing my Grandparents living at Emohrno,
              The Close, Fairlight

Clare

Comment

Originally posted by littlemoo View Post
                Hi Margaret,

They were my Paternal Grandparents. My father was born at the Fernbank
                Nursing home in Hastings, which is no longer there. My Mum found my
                Fathers birth certificate showing my Grandparents living at Emohrno,
                The Close, Fairlight

Clare
                Right so not a house your parents went to so really all you can do is see if the electoral roll will help.

Did your grandparents leave a will at all - that might show the address as a number. If you are really keen to find out it might be worth writing to every house in the road and asking if they know whether what it was previously called Emohrou - people now get to have the previous papers relating to houses which give more of a history.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

My Grandparents moved to London, not sure how long they lived in Fairlight.
                  I have mailed the Hastings library, asking if they could check the electoral
                  roll for 1947 for me.

Thank you for helping me, much appreciated.

Clare

Comment

Working...
                  X