Cowlin family lost in Kensington 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowlin family lost in Kensington 1911

I've located my Cowlin family (Joseph b. Bury St. Edmunds, Susan b. Paddington and their 7 children) to Kensington, using both the 1911 census site and GR. But I can't find them in the 1911 census summary books on Ancestry. Either the surname has been massively mistranscribed or someone else is the head of household. Please can sks give me their street address or the household reference.

It's only a married-in sideshoot but now I've found them I want to slot them in.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Transcribed as Cowling. Address 27 Silchester Terrace

Moggie

Comment

Many thanks, Moggie. I tried all the wildcards I could think of.

Comment

I thought I'd cracked it, but Ancestry seems to have put the wrong images up for North Kensington ED21 households (or put Silchester Terrace in the wrong ED). ED21 according to the Ancestry images includes Portobello Road but not Manchester Street (which appears on the opposite page of the (dismembered) enumerator's schedule book. Any bright ideas anyone, please?
        Last edited by Uncle John; 20-11-11, 17:30.

Comment

ED2, SN71 should find it.

Comment

Thanks Susan. That means Ancestry have transposed the ED2 and ED 21 household images. Or made a complete mess of the indexing!

Thanks Val for the image. The enumerator wrote Cowling in his book but Mr Cowlin knew he didn't have a G on the end of his name.

I had tried a wildcard search for households with 6 males. Foiled - they had the wife's nephew staying with them, which made 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              Thanks Susan. That means Ancestry have transposed the ED2 and ED 21 household images. Or made a complete mess of the indexing.
              Uncle John, if Ancestry have made a mistake then so have FMP (I've just checked their ref)

Comment

In that case Ancestry have made a mistake with the enumerator's book indexing. It definitely came up with ED21.

Comment

Ah, that's it then the index is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X