The Lancashire Militia Artillery in Gosport Hampshire in c1858

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lancashire Militia Artillery in Gosport Hampshire in c1858

I have a birth cert for Ann Miller born Clayhall/Alverstoke,Gosport, Hampshire..1858...Father John Miller 1833...born Dublin...A Private in the Lancashire Militia Artillery. Mother Mary Rilly/Reilley 1837...born Dublin.Trying to find what they were doing there. The later children were born in Liverpool....the youngest my grandfather, James Miller...1873. I have his birth cert. Father John and mother Mary Riley and linked the family as he has the same godmother from christening records as John 1866. The only census I found them on was 1871, before James was born. Ann 1858 was mistranscribed as being born in Coaport Hemp....After his birth in 1873 the next record is when he got married in 1895 in Manchester, and his father was a Dock Labourer.Can't find any record of the family in 1881 or 1891.Any help would be welcome and a coincidence as I lived near Clayhall at one time.About that time the Lancashire Militia Artillery marched from their barracks in Liverpool and caught the train to Portsmouth. I was wondering if they took their families with them...............Pat

Pat, am moving your thread over to our Family History Research section - hopefully someone might be able to help you.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, many thanks getting a bit lost. I previously tried to trace my grandfather James Miller 1873, Liverpool under the name branwen..but after a lot of help it came to nothing...had difficulty logging in today so had to start again with a new account....but it can be found now. Have also started a thread re Alverstoke, Hants...Pat

Comment

Will send you a PM (private message). You should be able to access it via NOTIFICATIONS (top right of page)
        Elaine

Comment

Have you found military records?

Comment

Where was James Miller born?
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi, I haven't been able to access the military records for John Miller c1833, born Dublin, Ireland......only know that he must have lived in Gosport for at least 1 month...his daughter was born March 1858 and registered in April.
              James his son , my grandfather, was born 28th of March 1873..2bk.2ho.Milton St, Howard St., Liverpool. Died 4th Nov 1920..fell down the stairs at 3, Fold St. Droylsden Manchester...where my nan lived until she died 1950/51. He married Martha Ann Warburton in Little Italy, Manchester in 1895...my mum was the youngest Martha Ann 1911....Pat. Just trying to find out about his family and where he was between 1873 and 1895......been searching for years.

Comment

There is this James Miller in 1891:

1891 Census
                MILLER, James
                LIVERPOOL, Lancashire
                RG12 piece 2917 folio 87 page 20

He's in the Liverpool Workhouse Ii, Brownlow Hill.

I don't know if he is yours. However, if he is yours perhaps his family died.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

So this is the family in 1871:

1871 Census
                  MILLER, Ann
                  LIVERPOOL, Lancashire
                  RG10 piece 3768 folio 132 page 5
                  Cherry Lane, Liverpool
                  John Miller Head M 38 Labourer Ireland
                  Mary Wife 34 Ireland
                  Ann Daur 13 Gosport
                  Elizabeth 11 Lancashire
                  John Son 5 Lancashire
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Have you tried Lancashire Record Office for the Lancashire Militia?

Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

See page 43.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Found by Googling - this result was from Google Books:

An account of the regiments of Royal Lancashire militia, 1759 to 1870

books.google.com › HistoryEuropeGreat Britain - Block all books.google.com results

An account of the regiments of Royal Lancashire militia, 1759 to 1870 ... The Royal Lancashire Militia Artillery removed to Gosport ...
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

That's the family. My grandfather James came in 1873.I altered Ann's birth on Ancestry when I had the birth cert. I have tried the Archives but s very expensive, can't seem to access anything free. A friend may be going down there. Thanks...Pat

Comment

Hi, I have page 43, but it doesn't give names and dates. I can't come up with the site just now..Military misc. in 1857/8/9 th Liverpool Militia Artillery marched from their barracks, leaving their families behind, to the station, to the tune of 'the girl I left behind' caught the train to Portsmouth. I know some went to India, but he must have had his wife with him for Ann to be born in Gosport. I wondered if she was born in Haslar Hospital, which was near where I lived, and by that time had taken army personnel, not just navy. From the old maps it was a huge place...in the 60s it was a very famous place.....Pat

Comment

There might be Muster Rolls at the National Archives but they may well not say anything about his family - but at least they will just tell you where they were and when. Not online though - you'd have to go there or get someone to go for you.
                              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

My friend has been there many times..hopefully again soon..clutching at straws with this family...think I've searched everything...had high hopes with this new info..many thanks....Pat

Comment

Aren't militia attestation papers on FMP?

Comment

Do you have the marriage certificate for John and Mary Miller? You know her maiden name, so I'm assuming you do.

If you do have it, what details does it give?
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

Yes, Militia attestations are on FMP but they are not generally very detailed.
                                      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Pat, as you know Clayhall, you will also know of the various forts around Gosport which were built in the 1850s and 1860s. If you go to www.victorianforts.co.uk and use the link for RGA, you will find details of regiments/units which were stationed in the forts and will see that several County Militia Artillery units passed through Fort Gomer. Although the first mention there is later than 1857/8 it does show the variety of units which passed through. All these forts required artillerymen and the nearest fort to Clayhall is Fort Gilkicker built in 1863 on the site of the Monckton Auxiliary Battery which had been there since 1856. That may possibly have been where the Royal Lancashire Militia Artillery was in 1857/8 but the RLMA seems to have moved on to Dover Castle by 1859 as a Kent newspaper report of 23/7/1859 refers to two privates of the Lancashire Militia Artillery, stationed at the Castle, being charged with theft from the till of the Sheer Hulk public house.
                                        The Lancashire Militia Artillery seems to have been re-embodied in 1856 and disembodied in June 1860, so your man may have been a Militiaman for only a brief time.

Merleyone

Comment

Working...
                                        X