Suggestions please on the name Fairlop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions please on the name Fairlop

One of my Actons, Ann born 1810 in Limehouse married in the Hague, Holland (her father went there after various spells in bankruptcy and had an inn) to a mariner from Folkestone in 1829. At her marriage she gives herself the middle name of Fairlop and again on the baptism of her only son.

Ive no idea where this middle name has come from and the only Fairlop reference I can find is to some sort of annual fair in Essex.

If anyone else has any ideas?

It's not the long double s, is it, Heather, which would make the name Fairloss (or maybe even Fairless)?

OC

Comment

Seems she was baptised with that name as well Heather.
      If you do a search on Docklands Ancestor there is a baptism of Anne Fairlop Acton in the St. Anne, Limehouse 1783 to 1812 parish registers.
      Elaine

Comment

IGI gives Fairlop as mother's middle name as well
        Elaine

Comment

Yes and there is an Emma Fairlop Gxxxxx something or other that I found this morning. No relative as far as I know but born in the same area a bit later. Ive contacted the person whose tree she is in to see if they can shed any light. The mum Rebecca was always just Hills until the marriage (I was getting her and the daughter confused) I cant make it out where it would come from. May be Rebecca's mum was a Fairlop - though I cant find any family with that name.

OC, no, definitely Lop not loss

Comment

[QUOTE Ive no idea where this middle name has come from and the only Fairlop reference I can find is to some sort of annual fair in Essex.

If anyone else has any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Here is an extract from a book about London's Forests, which explains where the name Fairlop possibly originated.

Though of a non-sporting character, the gathering known as the Fairlop Fair connected the forest of Essex with the workers of London for the greater part of the last two centuries.
            Early in the eighteenth century there frequently reposed under the shade of a venerable oak in Hainault Forest a certain pump maker of the parish of St. John's, Wapping. Daniel Day – Good Day as he was called – like many another London merchant, had acquired land on the confines of the ancient forest for a country residence. On the first Friday in July of each year he regaled his employees, beneath the spreading branches of his favourite tree, with a feast of beans and bacon.
            Day's beanfeast became so popular among the block and pump makers of Wapping that not only did others join in the festivity, but the meeting attracted to the spot vendors of various wares, who erected booths about the tree, and established an annual fair which flourished long after its originator was dead. The giant oak sheltered Day in death as in life, for, faithful to his wishes, his friends buried him in a coffin made from the wood of a fallen limb. One account states that the limb was specially lopped for the purpose, and that the loppers were prosecuted for their trespass, but managed to clear themselves under the plea that they had made a "fair lop" which had not injured the forest monarch. From that circumstance popular belief ascribes the origin of the name Fairlop. Another attempt to explain the name is found in an old song which runs:-
            To Hainault Forest Queen Anne she did ride
            And beheld the beautiful oak by her side.
            And after viewing it from the bottom to top
            She said to her court, "It is a fair lop."
            The Fairlop Oak was a giant of thirty-six feet in girth, with massive limbs, originally seventeen in number, but in the days of the famous fair but eleven, which cast a shade over an acre of ground. In the year 1805, through the carelessness of some picnickers, the tree caught fire, and the flames ate into the trunk and caused much damage. The injuries were dressed with a special preparation, and the following notice appealed to the chivalry of true forest lovers:-
            "All good foresters are requested not to hurt this old tree, a plaster having been applied to its wounds."
            The fierce gales of February 1820 rendered abortive all efforts to preserve the aged invalid. It stood – a wreck of its former great self, with its memories of Saxon and Norman times, and the centuries when London's lord mayor and civic officers had swept past it in the chase on Fairlop Plain – until the fiat went forth in 1851 from the Office of Woods and Forests, that the trees of Hainault were to be stubbed up. The old tree, with all its younger brethren, was therefore ruthlessly dragged from the soil. From its wood was made the pulpit and reading desk of St. Pancras Church, London, and also, it is believed, the pulpit in Wanstead Old Church.
            With the destruction of Hainault Forest the Fairlop Fair came to an end. The spectacle of a long boat, mounted on coach wheels and gaily masted, with a crew of pseudo-sailors, which for years was driven annually through the forest, appeared to the uninitiated to have no connection with the one-time beanfeast. It was, however, a generous attempt on the part of a few to keep the name of Daniel Day still green in the memory of the dwellers of Wapping.
            When Day died in 1767, his body was conveyed down the Thames from Wapping to Barking – where he lies buried – and was attended by six journeymen pump and block makers, who received each a white leather apron and a guinea for his service. The arrangement was by request, and grew out of the circumstance that Day in his journeys between Wapping and Fairlop had experienced mishaps from his horse, his mule, and finally from a chaise, and mistrusted land conveyances.
            The Wappingites who left the East End of London on fair day and travelled by the Woodford Road to Loughton, thence to Fairlop and home by Ilford, were the survivors of a once interesting gathering of jovial Londoners in the Essex forest.

Comment

Many thanks, thats the info I had found re Fairlop. The only connection - vague - is that it does involve Wapping/river workers and boats but thats a bout it. Cant make it out really.

Comment

Maybe a distant relative was involved with the annual Fair ..... or maybe one of those that chopped the limb off ...

Comment

Pardon my sense of humour but perhaps they chose the name for the same reason the Beckhams named their son Brooklyn :D
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

lol Judith that crossed my mind too Nice sunny day having a picnic in a forest ..............

Comment

Working...
                    X