2 possible Hilda's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 possible Hilda's

Hi just looking for some advice. Hilda Marjory Ward was born around 1903-1904 - on the census her birthplace is listed as West Ham.

On free BMD there are 2 possibles I think

Hilda Marjery Ward born Holborn Dec 1902 1b 612 and
    Hilda Marjery Ward born West Ham September 1904 4a 40

I would have thought the West Ham one more likely but I thought her older sister Mabel was born in Holborn and thats thrown me - any ideas? Parents are Charles Ward and Clara Pettit.

I also looked for a marriage but there are loads all with Hilda M but none with Hilda Marjery - could anyone see if they could spot a Hilda Marjery? I will be able to have a better look myself hopefully next week when I get set up with 6 month sub to Ancestry but had some time to kill today.

Many thanks

Steven

PS I think if I find her that would tie up all the births of my great grandmothers siblings

Steven, do you have the 1911 reference for Hilda? Can't seem to find her.
    Elaine

Comment

Just going back over your other threads - is this the family in 1911

WARD, James 1881 Labourer Dokc
      WARD, Clara 1873
      WARD, Charley 1897
      WARD, Grace 1902
      WARD, Hilda 1905

living in West Ham.

If so it gives all their places of birth as Stratford, Essex.

- and as Hilda was shown as being aged 6 in the census then a birth registration of September 1904 seems to fit.
      The registration district for Stratford was West Ham.
      Elaine

Comment

On the 1911 census your Hilda was aged 6 born Stratford and living in 27 Hartland Road, West Ham Stratford , whilst Hilda Margory Ward aged 8, born London City was living in Kendal, Westmorland so I think you can safely take the 1904 birth in West Ham for your relative.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Steven
          Hilda Marjery Ward born West Ham September 1904 4a 40

The spelling of this entry was Margery. It was given as Marjory in the children's home papers & it can be spelt Marjorie & Margerie so it's best to check all possibilities. Have you looked at Clara's thread recently. I think Judith has solved the Mabel mystery.
          Moggie

Comment

Thanks Elaine, Judith and moggie. The next point would seem to try to find a possible marriage and then if I know that I can then perhaps search for a death. My dad spoke to a cousin and between them they have heard of Ethel and Isabella (obvious ones) and my dad can remember a Rose and a Grace (aka Doris) and a Charley. No one has heard of a Mabel and no one unfortunately has heard of a Hilda.

Steven

Comment

The problem with trying to find a marriage is that she may have married as Hilda Ward, rather than Hilda M Ward or Hilda Marjorie Ward.
              There are just too many to choose from, particularly if she moved out of the West Ham area.

One option would be to get her birth certificate so that you have her date of birth. With that you can then search the death records for a Hilda of the correct date of birth, then try to match the surname at death with a possible marriage. However, this would only work if she died after 1970 as that is when the date of birth was added to the death registration. If she died before 1970 then the birth date is not going to help you much!!
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine I kind of thought it was going to be hard after I came across so many Hilda Wards and the different variations. Great advice and I think start with the birth and hope she lived until after 1970. These Ward's are a troublesome lot!!!!!!!!

So much easier in Scotland when you can search for deaths on sp with the mothers maiden name etc but then again our population is so much smaller!!!!!!!

Steven
                Last edited by stevie2006; 19-11-11, 21:02.

Comment

Working...
                X