University of Melbourne - South Asian Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Melbourne - South Asian Newspapers

Not sure if this is in the right place or if its been posted before.....can a Mod move it if not please

I'm not a subscriber but it looks good.

http://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/eresourc...64-1922-trial/
    Jacky

Hi Jacky,
    O how I wish I could get my hands on those newspapers, they are just the right time and place when my ancestors went to India to work on the railways and took several small children along with them, and then later had three more sons, then they died the Mother first and then the Father and the children left in schools in India seperated and alone.

These newspapers may hold the key to where my Gt Grandfather Edward Thomas Lloyd came from originally and through the years I have snippets of them being in Jamalpore working as a Porter and then Allahabad as a Railway clerk from my Grandfathers baptismal certificate.

Later I found my 2xgt Grandmothers will telling me of the schools in India where two of the boys were (my GF) and I found another boy in school in England, I am in contact with his descendants but they dont even have a birth for him as he is said to have been born at sea but nothing found.

On my GFs 1911 census he states born in Naini Tal but I have learned from the India list that this was in the Mountains where they sent the women and children for the Summer to get out of the heat.

Edward Thomas Lloyd c1840 was a railway clerk in England before going to India taken from the marriage cert in Liverpool in 1860 but not found anything on him to give clues to his birth apart from having a Welsh name.

If any members have access to these newspapers and can help search I would be eternally grateful for a search for anything for me.
    Edwards wife was Jane Wilson Lloyd born Scotland c1840 but childhood spent in Liverpool (I have her line back to late 1700s)

Edna

Comment

Hiya Edna,

Sorry i'm late coming back to you - i've been making some Pea Wack soup...Lol

My G Grandfather was a Police Sergeant on the railway in Jullulpore when he married his 2nd wife in Allahabad in 1895.

I request the same as Edna please....anything, anywhere on the Ansboro family...i'd be ever so grateful ;)
      Jacky

Comment

Could be useful for some of my mother's part of the tree.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

What we need is to find a person in Aus who may subscribe to it so they can do look ups for us, any Melbourne Members on the board??

I tried and got "wrong postcode"

Edna

Comment

You'll need someone with access to the University of Melbourne online - and the trial period is almost over

Is it worth contacting Readex who have made this and other newspaper collections available and asking whether they can tell you which (if any) UK based libraries or academic institutions have 'purchased' it from them

Image Oops! Page not found.Sorry. The page you requested is not in our database.

Comment

Thanks Sue

I did not realise it finished tomorrow so by the time I did that and got anywhere it would be over with.

Thanks for your help though its appreciated.

Edna

Comment

Edna - as I read it it's only the trial of this specific collection by the Uni of Melbourne that finishes tomorrow - it seems to be something that Readex have available (presumably) to libraries and academic institutions all the time - so probably still worth contacting them to see if they'll let you know whether anywhere in Britain has 'bought' it

Comment

Working...
                X