I know it's me, but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it's me, but.....

Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong, please. I've just tried searching on Ancestry for the marriage of a William Asher in Leicester, England in 1817. The entries don't seem to come up in any chronological or geographical order.

Thanks

not sure Grey, have you used a +/- a few years? do you have 'exact' ticked anywhere, ?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

oh where on Ancestry are you looking for this marriage?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Is it because Leicestershire parish records aren't available on Ancestry [yet], so it's giving you what it thinks are the nearest matches?

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I've tried searching England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940 on Ancestry, and it gives no hits for a marriage for a William Asher anywhere in England in 1817 +/- 5 years.

Comment

Thank you all.....I think Small Town Girl has the right answer (I put in +/- 5 years), but I still don't understand why it threw up things as it did. Surely, it would be logical to assume it would throw up all the William Asher marriages or all the Asher marriages either in the nearest chronological or geographical series, but they're all mixed up

Comment

I think it really depends on how you search.
              Were you using the old or new search method?
              Did you have "exact matches only" ticked?
              Were you doing a global search, or a specific dataset search?
              Elaine

Comment

I find that with any search on Ancestry ... if it can't give you a close answer to your query it gives you a random selection which "might" help (NOT!)

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  if it can't give you a close answer to your query it gives you a random selection which "might" help (NOT!)
                  Which is why I always keep "exact matches only" ticked - if I ask Ancestry if it has something then I want a YES or NO ... not a MIGHT BE!! :D
                  Elaine

Comment

Working...
                  X