London Burial Places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Burial Places

i've recently received BMD information about a set of ancestors. These would have been written late 1700s into the early 1800s. Several burial places are mentioned, but it's not clear to me where they are - or what records or burial plots might still exist.

1) The "Shoreditch Church Yard". I can't tell if there's only one church that he would have been referring to?

2) "London Stone Church Yard"

3) "Bunhill Fields City Road" - have the wiki page, but are there still graves there?

4) "burried at the Meeting, Globe Fields, Mile End" - found it on the web, burial would have been in 1821. It indicates that it was Wesleyan? Anyone know anything about finding thing more?

5) "Sheens Ground Church Lane" - also found it on the web, which indicates it's not in use but still exists. Records? Gravestones?

6) "burried at Baylur Meeting - Alie St - now called Zoar Chapel - grounds" Baylur might be Bayleer, Zoar could be other things, but I can't guess any better. Pretty certain of the Z and the r

These were definitely Protestant Dissenters, but I've wondered if the second wife was CofE, as those children were baptized in CofE Churches.

Again, I'm looking for records and gravestones if any survive

Thanks
    Sarah

have you looked for these burials on ancestry? i should the LMA has the registers for them. if not on ancestry, then they may not have filmed them yet.

non conformists events are available at this site: http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

but i think that site only has registers deposited at the national archives.

Comment

Some of them show up on ancestry, others not. I think I've pulled all I can from The Genealogist. I've volunteered for findagrave, and requested photos thru it: it's always useful to know who's buried near whom, obtain a plat record, know what's on the stone, etc.

These sites are all in one family, some even the same generation. I find the distribution of the sites kind of odd.

Comment

This might help with Bunhill Fields:

Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

6) "burried at Baylur Meeting - Alie St - now called Zoar Chapel - grounds" Baylur might be Bayleer, Zoar could be other things, but I can't guess any better. Pretty certain of the Z and the r

Some info here about the above

Moggie

Comment

5) "Sheens Ground Church Lane" - also found it on the web, which indicates it's not in use but still exists. Records? Gravestones?

Sheen's Burial-ground, Church Lane.
            Still open ground, and used as a private recreation area for local residents. The northern part is currently being redeveloped (2006). The Times of 1802 has an advertisement for a ground in Church Lane called 'Cain's Ground' , presumably the name of an early proprietor.
            A private ground, immensely used. It seems to have been at one time used by the congregation of the Baptists in Little Alie Street, and was then called "Mr. Brittain's burial-ground." If so it existed in 1763. After being closed for burial it was used as a cooperage, and now it is Messrs. Fairclough's yard, and full of carts and sheds, &c. A new stable was built in 1894, but the London County Council declined to prevent its erection. The size of the ground is about ½ acre.
            (Holmes)

Moggie

Comment

Thank you, all. I haven't traced all the links yet but it's always fascinating to find real people and places that ancestors have written about.

My ancestor quoted Abraham Boothe (booth.lse.ac.uk/cgi-bin/do.pl?sub=view_booth_and_barth&args=533659,181730, 1,large,0) & Lord Byron. He was baptized by Edward Hitchen, White's Row Church, tho he also refers to it as Mr Trotman's Meeting and several children were baptized by Rev. Samuel Lyndall. Again, it confuses me, as he doesn't seem to stay with one denomination of Dissenting Protestants?

Can anyone find information about Samuel Lyndall? The children were baptized at their own home, and I've found no record of the baptism, only the DrWm's registration.

Ditto for the baptism by Rev Hitchin. The bible pages do show that he was baptized at home and states that the baptism was recorded in the church records. I've looked at the church's records for the time period, and also they are indexed - the baptism is not there.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
              X