Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Find My Past Blog - Behind the scenes of Find My Past the TV show: Chris Hollins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Behind the scenes of Find My Past the TV show: Chris Hollins

We’ve been chatting exclusively to Chris Hollins about what it was like to present Find My Past the TV show. Chris tells us about his favourite moments and how presenting the series has encouraged him to research his own family tree.
    FMP: Are you interested in history?
    Chris: Very much. It was my favourite subject at school when I was a young lad thanks to a great teacher who told the most amazing stories. That’s what I really love about Find My Past the TV show: incredible moments in British history are re-told though the relatives of key figures. History is about moments but it’s also about how people react to these events. As a journalist, I think it’s always open to interpretation – nothing is cut and dry.
    FMP: How do you think this series compares with other family history programmes, such as Who Do You Think You Are?
    Chris: There are obvious comparisons with Who Do You think You Are? as we are both looking into family histories. Find My Past the TV show, however, follows the families of famous people who sometimes can have led ordinary lives. We follow incredible/famous events in history through the eyes of ordinary people; without fail the relatives are amazed by some of the extraordinary feats of their ancestors. We also go into more depth about a particular event/relative.
    FMP: What was your favourite moment while making the series?
    Chris: Undoubtedly meeting the veterans from Dunkirk. They say they are very ordinary people but they are far from it. I can’t possibly imagine what these men were facing during the lowest moments during WWII. They were frightened, just as I would have been, but they still ‘did their bit’ for the cause. It was a very humbling experience.
    FMP: Which was your favourite episode and why?
    Chris: That is a very tricky question. I have, and I’m not just making it up, enjoyed every single programme, for different reasons. Some because of the moment in history: Dunkirk, Battle of Britain and D-Day, others because of the individual stories: Jack the Ripper, Titanic and Suffragettes or because of the discussions that arose from our investigations: Firing Squad, Bounty and Royal Scandal. It’s too difficult!
    FMP: Has presenting Find My Past the TV show encouraged you to look into your own family history?
    Chris: Yes it has, but I’m not sure I want to, just in case I owe anybody any money or we have a shady past! I will definitely be looking into it very soon.
    FMP: Do you have any ancestors that you’re proud of?
    Chris: Yes of course. My father was, and always will be, my hero. He came from nothing to play football for England and with my mum, who I am also very proud of, gave us a great start of life. I also think about my granddad who fought in Africa and Italy during WWII.
    FMP: If you could be connected to a major event in history, what would it be and why?
    Chris: I have always been fascinated by Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire but that may test the findmypast.co.uk website a little too much! I would love to know what my granddad did during the war.
    FMP: Are there any other questions you’d like to answer?
    Chris: Where my family name comes from. I would love to know what they did for a living. They don’t have to have done anything incredible, but I love social history. I want to know why we are the way we are.
    Find out more about Find My Past the TV show

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.
Working...
X