WW1 - Monmouthshire Regiment & The Glasshouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 - Monmouthshire Regiment & The Glasshouse

I'm sorry that I seem to be requesting lots of help at the moment but I have a load of info swimming around my head at the moment.

A few days ago, I was wittering on about Family History to Dad. (He likes it as much as I do or he doesn't actually have any choice) We were talking about his grandfather, Edward EVANS.

Edward was in the Monmouthshire Regiment during WW1. He married my Dad's grandmother, Maude BRUCE, in October 1915 after meeting her while the Regiment were based in Bedfordshire (she was in service there).

My Dad was talking about the stories his Nan used to tell him about his Bampy (Edward died in 1940 of pneumonia) and it turns out he was a 'bit of a lad'. However, the thing that startled me most was that he spent time in The Glasshouse for drinking during his time in the Monmouthshire Regiment. I've also been led to believe that he did see front line service (The Somme/Ypres or somewhere like that, I wouldn't have remembered it otherwise) and got gassed which led to the weakness on his lungs and contracting pneumonia in the winter of 1939/40.

Sorry this is turning to be rather long, but where would I find any of these records.. My Dad has his service cards which I can borrow at some point.

Your father could apply for your grandfather's full service records - costs £30.
    Click on our Reference Library link on the navigation bar at the top of the screen, and then Military and Maritime in the index on the left.
    Then select the Military Research heading, and you will see a section for "Records 1921 to present" and the first line gives you a link to Veterans UK where you can apply for the records.

If you get lost, here is the direct link!
    Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.
    Elaine

Comment

Ahh Thank you Elaine!

Comment

If he only served in WW1 then left the Army, his records, if they have survived (a high percentage were destroyed in WW2) will be on the Ancestry website.

The Veterans Agency is only for those who left the Army 1921 onwards.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Oops, sorry Beth. Misread your post - thought you were referring to WW2 records!
          Elaine

Comment

Most WW1 records were destroyed checked Ancestry and no record for Edward Evans with the Monmouthshire Reg no pension record.
            Monmouthshire Reg medal index
            Two Edward Evans plus an Edward T Evans and a Thomas Edward Evans/ Reg numbers are given so if you know your reltives service number it may match.

Comment

I'll give my Dad a call later as they have his medals on display in their living room underneath his army photograph.

I believe his service number is on there...

Comment

Yes, service no should be on the medals.
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

You may find some joy by visiting this website I found about the Monmouthshire Regiment in World War 1

www.3rdbattmons.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X