The Goold Family in Walworth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Goold Family in Walworth

My gt gt grandfather, Edwin Goold was born in Walworth/Newington in 1834. In the 1861 Census he is wrongly shown as Edward and his wife is Jane. They are living in Flint Street and have one daughter, Emily Lee Goold born around 1856. I have been unable to find their marriage record or any birth record for Emily. This is my brick wall. Can anyone suggest where esle I might search? Emily married George Raven in 1875 in Camden.
    Jane is shown as being a forewoman in a Collar Factory and I believe there was one in the area, Coburg Road has been mentioned as a possible site. Is there any mileage in pursuing this line? I think that Jane's maiden name may have been Lee. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

John Arnold
    PS My mother's maiden name was Emily Lee Raven.

Just a quick mail to say that I also have a few Edwins who become Edwards - appears to be quite common.
    Off to have a wee look for Emily.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Do you have the details for the 1861 census you mention - I am not having any luck in finding it.
      OK - found the census - no E at the end
      Last edited by herky; 16-11-11, 21:39.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

could she have been mistranscribed as Gould ?
        Emily Gould Dec 1856 St George Southwark 1d 118

Comment

I guess you probably have Edwins baptism?

Name: Edwin Goold
          Record Type: Baptism
          Estimated Birth Date: abt 1834
          Baptism Date: 23 Feb 1834
          Father's Name: John Goold
          Mother's Name: Susanna Amelia Goold
          Parish or Poor Law Union: Newington Holy Trinity
          Borough: Southwark
          Register Type: Parish Registers

and he marries an Emma Barkworth Parker when he was a "widower" in 1867

In 1861 Jane's birthplace is shown as High Wycombe, Bucks. Have you tried looking for a Jane born 1835 in High Wycombe with the surname Lee?

If they never married, the daughter may be registered under mums surname?
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-11-11, 22:27.

Comment

I rather think that Edwin is a diminutive for Edward - like Robin for Robert, and so on. Although the correct (as in registered/baptised) name may be one, the person may prefer the other - or find that people presume that it's the other. Some clergy refused to baptise using a diminutive. I have a colleague who was endlessly exasperated by people "correcting" her name from Peggy to Margaret, because Peggy was actually her correct name.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, yes, I had found Edwin Goold's baptism. Jane died in 1865 and he married Emma Barkworth Parker. I have now looked for the birth of Emily Lee, which I think was Jane's maiden name and found Emily Lee born in Lambeth in 1856. I've sent for the birth certificate to confirm I've got the right person. I believe that Jane's birth place was Wickham in Hampshire, not High Wycombe, which was how I came across Jane Lee born in 1833. Thanks again.
              John

Comment

Thanks, I had tried that. I now find that she was registered as Emily Lee as her mother wasn't married! That's why I couldn't find her.

John

Comment

Originally posted by johnryde View Post
                  Thanks, I had tried that. I now find that she was registered as Emily Lee as her mother wasn't married! That's why I couldn't find her.
                  If she had told the registrar the father's name (perhaps he needed to be present) then the child would be indexed under both surnames, though they would both lead to the one certificate.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The Goold family, Walworth

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                    If she had told the registrar the father's name (perhaps he needed to be present) then the child would be indexed under both surnames, though they would both lead to the one certificate.
                    I have now discovered that Jane Lee married William Church in Newington on 13th November 1854, but he emigrated to Australia without her in February 1855. On 27th April 1856 she registered the birth of Emily Lee Church, naming William Church as the father. Given the dates, this is clearly not possible. In the 1861 Census she is shown as the wife of Edwin (wrongly named Edward) Goold, and Emily Lee is shown as their daughter. I haven't been able to find a marriage between Jane and Edwin. Very mysterious?

Comment

Things like that happened. My 2 gr grandfather died 23 Aug 1880 in South Africa after a 2 year trip to China with the Navy, his wife registered a birth in England in Feb 1881 naming him as father. Many people wouldn't have known how long her husband had been away, so she could appear respectable, as she had moved. She married again, he must have died shortly after the marriage. She again remarried 1890, left him for another man and lived with him from at least 1901 until her death in 1931. Died with the surname of her 3rd husband.

Tora

Comment

Originally posted by Tora View Post
                        Things like that happened. My 2 gr grandfather died 23 Aug 1880 in South Africa after a 2 year trip to China with the Navy, his wife registered a birth in England in Feb 1881 naming him as father. Many people wouldn't have known how long her husband had been away, so she could appear respectable, as she had moved. She married again, he must have died shortly after the marriage. She again remarried 1890, left him for another man and lived with him from at least 1901 until her death in 1931. Died with the surname of her 3rd husband.

Tora
                        Sometimes the wrong name is entered on a birth cert because of the way the question is asked eg. for a married woman registering a birth the Registrar might ask 'and your husband's name?' rather than 'what is the child's father's name?' She will answer accordingly. Also of course it can be as has been said she wanted to appear respectable.
                        Margaret

Comment

Working...
                        X