Marriage look up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage look up

Having a wee bit of bother with a marriage on freebmd.

It was a marriage of a David Phillips to someone Ward in Hackney December 1926 volume 1b page 906. I can't seem to find the forename of the women he married.

Its a puzzler as my dad told me his great aunt Doris or Dolly married David Phillips but the problem is that I haven't heard of a Doris/Dolly. The only sisters of my great grandmother I know of are Ethel, Rose, Grace & Hilda. So what I thought was if I can find the marriage certificate and order it then it will give me the father of Doris/Dolly and if its Charles Ward then I will know it is a sister and where the name Doris/dolly came from. They had a son Bernard but ordering or looking for her certificate wouldn't help - I think its the marriage cert I would need if that makes sense

Sorry to be a bit stupid on freebmd

Thanks

Steven

You just need to click on the reference number "906" to get the list of names for that reference.

Some people acquire names and nicknames which have little to do with their actual registered names!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine the name is Grace which makes complete sense - however would a Grace be called Doris or Dolly?

Steven

Comment

The name Dolly was used as a nickname for many people Steven, regardless of their real name.

p.s. They do appear to have had a son Bernard B too.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie thats definitely them and Bernard was a great friend of my grandad and my dad came across some photo's of my grandad and Bernard together which was great

Steven

Comment

It's lovely to have photos isn't it

Comment

Steven,

Dolly can be another name for Dorothy.. BUT my SIL name is Karren.. her nick-name???? DOLLY/DOLL... work THAT one out..lol.. it could be a pet form of Darl I suppose, Darl=Darling=Darl=Doll?
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

My experience of someone called Dolly turned out to be because when they small someone said they looked like a little doll. Then the nickname Dolly stuck throughout their life.

Comment

Working...
                X