Change of Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Name

I have a married couple with two children and have the children shown in my family tree under the father’s name.

The couple divorced and the mother had the children’s name changed to her new husband’s name.

Now the children have since married and have children of their own so, how do I show the change of name in FTM 2011.

Thanks M.

I would normally keep the children entered on the program under their birth names, but would also add a fact "also known as".
    When you are adding this fact there are boxes to add the alternative name, date and description (reason).

When you print trees or reports you can select the option to include the "also known as" fact.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the reply Elaine,

Where I’m getting a little confused is with the son. He married under his changed name and his daughter was christened with that name.

I have her shown as Mary Smith (Jones), not sure if this is the way to do it. I also have the notation as you suggested. This was not an adoption only a name change.

Thanks M

Comment

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do this. I would use whichever name you feel is a best fit for the circumstances, making a note of the another name either in the "also known as" section or as an explanation in the notes.
        Elaine

Comment

Working...
        X