Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoal Roles

Hello fellow Family Researchers

I am trying to locate the whereabouts of my grandfather, Frank King of Berkeley Gloucestershire, during the 1920s. I have located him to the electoral register in 1926 at Berkeley c/o a Miss Metacafe. What is the significance of c/o is it 'care of ', if so what does it signify. Does it mean she has a proxy vote? was Frank not if the locality at the time of registration or was he not a householder or have a permanent address ?

I would appreciate any insight into this question

Thanks

John2011

He may have been a lodger or boarder at the address.

Comment

Odd though to be described as c/o as I thought each person in a house was entitled to be on the register on their own account regardless as to their status in the house eg lodger/boarder.
      Margaret

Comment

looking back at my notes it appeared that he was not eligible for local elections. Would this mean he didn't have residential status of didn't own property in 1925-6?

John

Comment

Electoral Rolls only record those people who have registered and are eligible to vote.
          The basic rules follow-

Local Government Elections

Men and women who had occupied rateable property in the borough for one year, paid rates, and lived within seven miles of the borough were entitled to vote in local elections.

Parliamentary Elections
          In 1918 all men aged 21 or over who were normally resident in the constituency were able to vote plus all women aged 30 or over who were local government voters, or their wives, were given the parliamentary franchise for the first time.
          All women aged 21 or over were finally enfranchised in 1928.

It is possible that Miss Metacafe was an employer, previous landlord, friend or even a partner who allowed her property to be used as a mailing address for your grandfather.
          He possibly did not qualify to vote in local elections due to not being resident long enough.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
          X