not where expected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not where expected?

i am looking for the christenings in 1788 and 1799, of james and charles buckenham respectively. both say on the census they are born in great oakley, essex.

except, when i looked through the great oakley registers, the only buckenham's i found were sally? (definently a daughter, but did not read sarah) 1782 and john 1786. both children of john and sarah. there were no others after 1786.

james' daughter elizabeth is in islington in 1851, with an aunt eliza barnes. eliza buckenham was born 1811, messing in essex, and married robert barnes in 1829 in holborn.

i found eliza's christening in the messing registers in 1811. daughter of john buckenham and amelia. eliza has a sister jemima in 1809, her christening gives he rmother as amelia nee banker or barker.

i suspect john and sarah had sally and john, and maybe james and charles. then sarah dies, and john marries amelia, having jemima and eliza. though i could not find either john or wives buried in great oakley or messing.

but if james and charles buckenham weren't christened in great oakley, where should i look?
    Last edited by kylejustin; 13-11-11, 07:32.

Hi
    You could try the first link for the baptisms & the one below for the marriage of John & Amelia.
    Moggie

Comment

I found this burial in the NBI
      Sarah Buckenham no age given buried 24th Sep 1803 Great Oakley.
      The actual register might give more information i.e wife of or daughter of but it won't give her age.
      Sarah is the only Buckenham listed at Great Oakley.

Moggie

Comment

thanx maudarby i hadn't seen that burial. unfortunately it doesn't give any more information, but i think it is john's wife. that may at least narrow down john's second marriage to amelia.

those links are interesting. i wonder how they search registers? i have been looking in great oakley, and a few parishes near it, but have come dry. there was an 'infant of john buckingham' buried in beaumont in 1789. i have no idea if this is the same john, and it was the only reference to a buckingham in the parish from the 1770's to about 1800.

i have noticed the parishes in general are small for essex, and that buckingham/buckenham is an uncommon name.

Comment

Working...
        X