William Mitchell, Tinman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Mitchell, Tinman

I am looking for the death of William Mitchell, tinplate worker.

I believe his widow, Martha was in the 1841 census in the St Luke's workhouse, Hoxton. She died there in 1848.

Three of his children were baptised at St Luke's in 1808.
    Another in 1811, same place.
    Another, 1813, St Leonard's Shoreditch
    Another, 1820, St Luke's
    The last child is a bit different. Martha was born in Jun, 1824, but baptism was in Jun, 1851 @ St Thomas, Charterhouse. I do not have her in any census. Help with that would be appreciated, too.

But - back to William! I'm thinking about buying death certs, but as you can imagine, there are many to choose from! And, of course, he may have died before Civil Reg.

Anyone want to rank which is their most likely candidate of the ones for Middlesex from 1837-1841 in Freebmd? Anyone spot a likely candidate in the NBI?

Thanks
    Sarah

If Martha was in the workhouse in 1841 then maybe William had died there.

This could be a possible - abode given as Workhouse

London, England, Deaths and Burials,
    William Mitchell
    Burial 8 Jan 1839
    Age at death: 60
    Finsbury St Luke, Islington

Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I like it. I'll locate the record in FreeBMD and order it.
      Thank you,
      Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
        ... I'll locate the record in FreeBMD ...
        Hope you have better luck than I did! :(
        Elaine

Comment

Just realised that the date of burial has been transcribed incorrectly.
          It should be 8 Jan 1840, not 8 Jan 1839.
          Elaine

Comment

What about this Martha Mitchell - father given as William Mitchell, Tin plate worker? (The same girl is in service in 1841) In 1851/61 her place of birth given as Shoreditch.

Name: Martha Mitchell
            Spouse Name: James Atkinson Shaw
            Spouse Age: Full Age
            Record Type: Marriage
            Event Date: 19 Jul 1847
            Parish: Hoxton St John
            Borough: Hackney
            Father Name: William Mitchell
            Spouse Father Name: James Atkinson Shaw
            Register Type: Parish Register
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 12-11-11, 23:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Hope you have better luck than I did! :(
              Oh, ugh - meaning you couldn't find it in freebmd? fat chance I have...

Comment

Heather - thanks for looking, but I don't think so. She was baptised with her maiden name in 1851. I think if she had been married it would have included her married name?

sarah

Comment

I can't find it either.

Is there any other way to find the record?

Comment

Heather - thanks for looking, but I don't think so. She was baptised with her maiden name in 1851. I think if she had been married it would have included her married name?

sarah
                    Well, its a real coincidence then isnt it - right place of birth, right dad, right job for dad. But coincidences came happen. Not sure what the protocol would be re an adult baptism.

Comment

ooooh, I didn't look at the actual record. I'll look further, I didn't realize that dad's occupation was in line.

Believe it or not, there is another William Mitchell, tinplate worker running around London in that time frame! I'd guess he's about 20 yrs younger, and his wife's name is Sarah. He's the one that shows up in City Directories. I think his children may even baptise in the same church (St Luke's).

Comment

Oh, and I found his Freedom of the Company record (William II's, that is) - by redemption, so I don't think he's related to my William Mitchell. I was unable to find a Freedom record for him.

But my William didn't seem to have obtained a Freedom, nor did I find a record of apprenticeship for him.
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 13-11-11, 05:16.

Comment

BUT -
                          if they were related, it would explain a few things. I've never figured out why William didn't name his first child William. Also, William's first child, John, was born in 1803, but was baptised in 1808 along with two sisters. I've usually seen the first male child baptised shortly after birth?

Comment

So, yes, that might be her. Does anyone know about the finer points of adult baptism? After marriage?

Comment

Finally found my research on the other William Mitchell (when all else fails, look in your tree!). In 1841, he is living in London, St Nicholas Acons with Sarah (age 30), Sarah (15), Matilda (11), Robert (9). No Martha. In 1851, they're in the same location, only daughter Sarah with them.

So, yes, I think this Martha is William & Martha's child? Other opinions appreciated!

Comment

Martha had three children & apparently died. James remarried. Just found her, and I lose her!

Comment

my great great grandmother was christened at 17. i have seen adult baptisms, but i can only remember men. i don't think it would be unusual to be baptised in her maiden name. i might expect her husband's name to be entered as well, but that is a long shot.

Comment

At baptism only the christian name is used (stands to reason I guess :D ) So her baptism entry could easily read Martha daughter of William Mitchell and not mention her married name.
                                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith - you are quite correct! I hadn't thought about it being only the parents' surname, but I looked at the record again. Only her first name appears for her, and it lists her parents' names after! Thank you. Thank you, also, Kyle for your observations.

Now - any suggestions for finding William's death certificate?

Comment

Now - any suggestions for finding William's death certificate?
                                        Two London possibles for 1840 1st quarter

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915
                                        William John Mitchell
                                        Jan-Feb-Mar 1840
                                        Kensington
                                        Volume: 3
                                        Page: 181

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index:
                                        William Mitchell
                                        Jan-Feb-Mar 1840
                                        St George Southwark
                                        Volume: 4
                                        Page: 308

The problem is you don't know which workhouse he was in - it may not have been St Lukes - so he could have died out of the parish but buried at St Lukes.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X