The British Newspaper Archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The British Newspaper Archive

This site is available in beta until Monday at the cost of £6.95. Having attempted to use it I found I have been unable to download the newspapers on Internet Explorer, I get the page but the actual paper does not appear. I initially managed to download on Firefox, but that now fails to download the newspaper as well.

I have also found the search facility poor, it doesn't appear to recognize 'AND' when you enter mor than one name. I haven't been able to use it fully because of the problems above.

Unfortunately at the moment it appears to be a very poor site, the Gale one was much better and I feel that I was being made to pay for trialling it. I only hope the final version is better.

Quote from the email received

The beta version of the site is available from now, until 10:00am on Monday, 14th November, so please don‘t forget to make use of your opportunity to preview the site! Please note, you will not be able to print or download images during the beta period. You will be able to freely view the articles that you have purchased for an additional 2 months when the site goes live.
    Re the search facility, have you used the Advanced Search option rather than trying to use 'AND' - I was using it last night and it seemed to work quite well, although I haven't really found anything to get me really excited!
    Elaine

Comment

Certainly so far, most of the papers, but not all, I would need to look at are available on Gales, but at the rate they are digitising them that will change as presumably they are starting with the bulk which are already done.

I find that the search facility picks up what I have seen and would expect to find based on what I have found on Gales, so it works fine!!

I haven't paid up yet, but am looking forward to being able to browse - and you can always take a screen shot!!

The snippets you can see are very handy.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I tried to print out a couple of articles. The letters were very skewed. It seems unfortunate that a fee was charged to try out what is still a very imperfect product.

Comment

Working...
        X