Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodman and Pullman Lines

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and just starting out researching both my family history and my husbands. I'm not sure how i should introduce myself but my name is Louise, Lou to all of my friends.

My grandfather's name is Wiliam Charles Stuart Woodman born 14/04/1920 at Reading, his parents are William George Henry Woodman and Bearice May Woodman (nee Baker). The only William George Henry Woodman i have been able to locate was born 1891 in Grittleton Wiltshire and Married Beatrice in 1914.

Further research has turned up George Woodman (1859) born at Littleton Drew Wiltshire and Emily Woodman (1862) born at Yatton Keynell who i think are William George Henry Woodman's parents. I did notice that a couple of people that also use the forum by the names of tallyfrog and jessbowbag have also picked up on the Wiltshire Woodman's. I am wondering if we are somehow related and would be grateful of any information that will assist.

I can confirm that William Charles Stuart Woodman married Annie Jane Williamina Thom on 20/11/1944 in Windsor. Annie's fathers details are William Thom of 42 Albert Street, kew, Windsor. Occupation is a factory hand at the time of the marriage and William George Henry Woodman of 53 Victoria Road, Slough. Occupation at the time of the marriage was a leading storeman. The marriage certificate has been witnessed by Hilda (middle initials may possibly be J L ) Spencer and John - - Thom, the middle initials are unclear.

With reference to the Pullman side, I have already hit a stumbling block when trying to order a birth certificate for my father in law from the states and would be most grateful if someone could please suggest the best website to go through to organise the certificate.

Thank you kindly for any assistance that can be provided.

Lou

Welcome to the forum.
    Can I just check with you that all the people named in your query are deceased - we do not allow the names of living people to be published on the open forum.

- and I have moved your thread over to our Family History Research forum, where hopefully some of the members will be able to help and advise.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Lou

Ordering this marriage certificate may confirm fathers name and occupation as well as their ages which will make it easier to identify on the census. *This can be done online at www.gro.gov.uk

Marriages Dec 1914 * (>99%)
      Baker Beatrice M Woodman Reading 2c 942 ** **
      Woodman William G Baker Reading 2c 942 *

Possibly Beatrice in 1911

SUFFIELD, Madeline Head Widow F 70 1841 Private Means Yorkshire Sheffield
      SUPTON, Florence Mary Ann Single F 40 1871 Lady Help Surrey Richmond
      BAKER, Beatrice May Servant Single F 15 1896 General Servant Domestic Berks Reading
      RG number:RG14 Piece:6595
      Reference:RG14PN6595 RG78PN327 RD121 SD2 ED16 SN186
      Registration District:Reading
      Sub District:St Giles
      Enumeration District:16
      Parish:Reading
      Address:42 Craven Road Reading
      County:Berkshire

and possibly in 1901

BAKER, George Head Married M 37 1864 Masons Labourer
      Windlesham*Surrey
      BAKER, Caroline A Wife Married F 42 1859 Wickham*Kent
      BAKER, Elizabeth B Daughter Single F 16 1885 Sunninghill*Berkshire
      BAKER, Annie C Daughter Single F 11 1890 Sunninghill*Berkshire
      BAKER, George L Son M 7 1894 Sunninghill*Berkshire
      BAKER, Charlotte M Daughter F 5 1896 Sunninghill*Berkshire
      BAKER, Beatrice M Daughter F 1 1900 Sunninghill*Berkshire
      Piece:1167 Folio:41 Page:27 * *
      Registration District:Windsor
      Civil Parish:Sunninghill
      Address:Upper Village Road, Sunninghill, Village
      County:Berkshire

However date of birth and place of birth not consistent to be sure. *She may have lied about her age to secure employment.

Here is a possible birth for William George Henry Woodman

Births Dec 1890 * (>99%)
      Woodman William George H Chippenham 5a 62 *

Possibly 1901*

WOODMAN, George Head Married M 42 1859 Gardners Labourer*Littleton Drew*Wiltshire
      WOODMAN, Emily Wife Married F 39 1862 Yatton Keynell*Wiltshire
      WOODMAN, Mabel Daughter F 12 1889 Grittleton*Wiltshire
      WOODMAN, William Son M 10 1891 Grittleton*Wiltshire
      WOODMAN, Herbert Son M 8 1893 Grittleton*Wiltshire
      WOODMAN, Arthur Son M 6 1895 Grittleton*Wiltshire
      WOODMAN, Victor Son M 3 1898 Grittleton*Wiltshire
      Piece:1916 Folio:23 Page:6 * *
      Registration District:Chippenham
      Civil Parish:Grittleton
      Address:Grittleton Street, Grittleton
      County:Wiltshire

I can't spot him in 1911 census

Good luck with your research

Barbara

Comment

To contact a member of the board, when you see their username click on it and this will give you options and you can send this member a message by clicking on that and you can ask them yourself if they have your surnames in their tree.

Edna

Comment

Dear Elaine

Thank you for your message. I am able to confirm that all the people named in my query are in fact deceased.

Thank you for moving my query across to the Family History research Forum. I have already received a couple of replies which have provided some great assistance.

Kind regards

Lou

Comment

Hi Edna

Thank you so much for your advice. I am already in receipt of a couple of replies which have provided great assitance.

Kind regards

Lou

Comment

Hi Barbara

Thank you so much for the information you have provided. I will have a look at the suggested website and hopefully open even more doors.

Are the Baker and Woodman lines part of your family tree? More than happy to share any information you are missing.

Thank you again

Lou

Comment

Hi Lou

No they are not members of my tree, I just had a bit of free time and thought I'd have a look

Best wishes

Barbara

Comment

Hello Louise and welcome

I have pmd you regarding the Wiltshire Woodmans
                  CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Working...
                  X