Medals given in ww1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medals given in ww1

Does anyone know if servicemen were given a medal for fighting in the great war? I have found my uncles ATTESTATION, but cannot find any trace of a medal being issued or his service record. He survived the war only to be killed in a coalmine 6 years later. This weekend Service Records are free on Ancestry, but I have had no luck. Any ideas for help would be great. Rucha
    Christine

Yes medals were awarded -see this website for information: http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1...ign-medals.htm
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Where have you found the Attestation paper - does it have a regimental number on it.
      Do you want to give us his name to see if we can see anything for you. Sometimes it's easier to do the first search for medal cards on the National Archives website, and then once you have found the one you need go to Ancestry to download it.
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, My uncles name is George Henry Carter, parish born Llanwonno Glamorgan Wales. Attestation says Rifle Brigade there is a No. 4445.Attestation signed11th Sep 1914. Grateful for your help. I will also look at link sent in by Judith. Thanks both
        Christine

Comment

Hi Christine

Your Uncle's pension records are on Ancestry here

If you look at the document and scroll through the 5 pages it appears that although he enlisted on 11th Sept 1914 and was initially found fit for service in the army, he was subsequently discharged on 24th Sept 1914 having been found medically unfit under KR (Kings Regulations) 392 iii c.

This document explains what that KR was

Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by ruthchristine View Post
            Does anyone know if servicemen were given a medal for fighting in the great war? I have found my uncles ATTESTATION, but cannot find any trace of a medal being issued or his service record. He survived the war only to be killed in a coalmine 6 years later. This weekend Service Records are free on Ancestry, but I have had no luck. Any ideas for help would be great. Rucha
            Christine, his records show he was discarged as unfit, so he probably would have been entitled to at the very least,the Silver War Badge
            Last edited by Inahaystack; 11-11-11, 23:10.

Comment

Thanks Jackie, Found the records now with your help.Still don't know all my way around Ancestry. But the biggest surpprise is that he was discharged so soon. The story in the family was he went all through the war, and when he came home after a few years down the mines he was killed in a colliery accident. Well well who'd have thought it. Never know what you're going to find out.
              Christine

Comment

A lot of men were discharged on often relatively minor medical grounds in the heady early days of the war, when huge numbers of volunteers rushed to join up and the powers that be could afford to be very choosy.

As reality set in and it was realised that the war wouldn't be "over by Christmas" and stalemate and large numbers of casualties became apparent, many previously "rejected" men joined up without difficulty or were later conscripted to serve in some capacity - so it's quite possible that despite this early set back your man may well have served as per the family story

This is another great site that will give you lots of background information to help in your quest - http://www.1914-1918.net/

Cheers
                Sue

Comment

Working...
                X