Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is right?

I have been doing abit of digging,

I have in my records a baptism for Edward HOLMES to Joseph & Mary HOLMES in Smisby in the county of Derby. He was born on the 14th July 1810 and baptised Aug 12th.

this is from Non con records RG4 887

now looking back at the source for this it states on BMD registers site that:

887 Register of Births and Baptisms at the Primitive Methodist Chapel of Whitwick, Leicestershire from 1797 to 1821

my question is where was he baptised? there are records on Hugh Wallis for (Primitive Methodist) C079321 1822-1837 but nothing for the earlier dates.

thanks for looking

edit to say: does this mean that Edward was bapt in Whitwick but his parents were 'of' Smisby
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 09-11-11, 17:49.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

[1] could well be "of" rather than "in" Smisby.

[2] The Methodist Church has "circuits", so they may well have a single register covering several churches/chapels.

Is it worth asking a relevant Local Studies expert about the history of the Methodist Church in the area?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hmmn, maybe Christine, I know that there is a Historical society for Whitwick and they are open on a Saturday, they do have some info regarding the area

I could go there and see what they have to offer I suppose, but might I find more at Leicestershire/Rutland Record Office?
      Julie

Comment

There are actually a whole lot of Methodist records at the Rylands (University) Library in Manchester. Not sure whether that might be worth an email?
        The University of Manchester Library is at the heart of the UK’s largest university, welcoming over three million students, researchers and visitors per year.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

mm yes it might, i'll have a look :smilee:
          Julie

Comment

Working...
          X