Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boswell/Lock family

I found the following message on roots chat thats several years old:-

"I stumbled over another Boswell - Lock "union" while wandering through the 1891 Shropshire census. I don't know iif it's of any use, but here goes!

Census at Cotton in the Wem Parish - "Encamped on Common" - RG12/2123. Can't make out Folio or Page nos.
    George Boswell, Head, M, 36, Travelling Hawker, b Crewe Cheshire
    Susannah Boswell, Wife, M, 26, b Newport Shropshire
    Samson Boswell, Son, S, 3, b Knutsford Cheshire
    John Sullivan Boswell, Son, S, 4(?) months, b Congleton Cheshire
    Laura Boswell, Sister's Child, S, 9, b Wilmslow Cheshire
    Rabbi Lock, Brother-in-law, S, 15, b * Staffordshire
    Deborah Lock, Mother-in-law, Widow, 60, b ---- Crewe Cheshire
    Henry Lock, Brother-in-law, S, 10, b * Staffordshire
    Ruth Lock, Sister-in-law, S, 6, b * Staffordshire
    Eva Lock, Sister-in-law, S, 24 (?), Not known
    Louisa Lock, Sister-in-law, S, 23 (?), Not known, (Deaf & Dumb ----)
    Lydia Lock, Sister-in-law, S, 18 (?), * Staffordshire

* Staffordshire - looks like it could be "Talk o' Hill" Stafffordshire???

Edit: ---- indicates complete word illegible.

I hope that adds to the general picture of the Boswell - Lock families if nothing else."

a later post gives full reference as RG12 p2123 f59 p12 so i duly put that into ancestry and nothing comes up! I searched all thru the transcribed Wem names and there is absolutely no sign of a boswell or lock/sock at all so i tried a free search at FMP and found them easily putting Samson Boswell aged 3 in the bottom of the advanced search box but I dont have a sub to FMP so cant get the proper reference no.
    So please could someone tell me what i am doing wrong on ancestry or do you think ancestry havent transcribed this family as they were camped on the common?
    any thoughts or references would bemuch appreciated and easy instructions on how to get that reference into ancestry so it gives me the actual census page with the boswells and locks on it.
    thank you very much
    Last edited by angelina; 09-11-11, 15:06. Reason: typo
    Angelina

I think the reference given is correct. It looks as if Ancestry have not filmed that particular batch of census pages for whatever reason.
    The fact that they were "camped on the common" would make no difference - it seems simply that they are "missing pages". (at least, I cannot see them!!)
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine thank you so much I thought it was me losing the plot but if you cant find them then I feel alright again!!! Thanks again for looking for me.
      Angelina

Comment

Incidentally, I think that John Sullivan BOSWELL is older than 4 months! And the queried ages for the LOCK family also seem to be wrong.

And the asterisk place-name is quite legible, too.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine - thanks for the warning - I was looking for the original on ancestry for a friend so I will tell them the typed version above is iffy.
          Angelina

Comment

Working...
          X