Geni offline or similar program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geni offline or similar program

I am just starting to build our family tree and I am looking for a help As I tried many demo versions and online programs, I found Geni.com (and Ancestry.com) the best of all. I want to navigate, edit data, add people, explore hidden parts of the tree... in "extended family tree view", not just in "pedigree view". I want to see (next to my parents and grandparents) also theit ex-spouses, my halfsiblings, uncles, cousins with their families... and in the same time be able to add people or navigate to e.g. my partners family tree. It is much less confusing for me, although I have to move right and left a lot :o
    The problem is that I want to do it (for now) completely offline. Does anyone know a program which support this feature? Preferably for Mac.
    Katja

Welcome to FTF, Katya.

Have you seen the 'Genealogy software' link (in the peach coloured band towards the top of the page? It has links and suggestions for various software packages.

Comment

Thank you, Lindsay, for welcome and for advise. I found all in the link written programs by myself before, except one - Family Historian. And this is the one which is the closest to what I am looking for :D Thank you again!!! (But if anyone has a suggestion for a similar program for Mac, I am still interested ;))

Comment

Im sure FTM has brought out a Mac one now, and welcome to the site
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi, borobabs, I corresponded with FTM support and they do not have feature of extended family view (with possibility of editing), neither they plan to add it in the future. Unfortunately they don't have a demo version so I can't try it to see how it feels for me... :(

Comment

Katja,

I don't use a Mac so can't really help with programmes, but I do use Family Historian and I'm sure that some people do use it on a Mac by using another programme with it. If you go to www.fhug.org.uk and look for the Forum thread down the left-hand side you will be able to do a search and see how other Mac users manage, if the answer isn't there put your own question up, everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Hope that this helps

Margaret.
            Margaret

Comment

Margaret, thank you!

Comment

Now is a very good time to get FH!!

Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Yes, Good news isn't it Caroline, the best is getting better.

Margaret
                  Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    Yes, Good news isn't it Caroline, the best is getting better.

Margaret
                    Absolutely ... and we can have fan charts now!! I was having to use Legacy to do those.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                    X