X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Lunatic Asylum

Anna Maria JONES
    Two points
    Is it feasible for someone to be in a lunatic asylum in 1841 but back with her family in 1851 and if it says private does that mean her family paid for her to be there? thanks

To answer the first point, yes of course people can be released from lunatic asylums if they are cured or the family think they can manage to care for them at home and they aren't a risk to anyone.

I would interpret private as meaning you'd have to pay, though of course there might be charitable institutions that might provide funds.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks Nell having trouble pin pointing my lady so she may not be mine ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        Anna Maria JONES
        Two points
        Is it feasible for someone to be in a lunatic asylum in 1841 but back with her family in 1851 and if it says private does that mean her family paid for her to be there? thanks
        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...id&pid=7133113
        Often women were put in lunatic asylums for getting pregnant out of marriage - this happened until the 20th century!!
        Margaret

Comment

this one was married Margaret thanks, getting in a muddle with her family it might not be her

Comment

Married women were sometimes put in private asylums if they were a nuisance to their husbands, such as objecting to his mistresses or his spending of her money. Remember that married women had very few rights back then - they were the property of their husband and he could do what he liked with them.

OC

Comment

Hi Val

Is this the same Ann as my ancestor Ann Maria Ivy/Jones 1790-1866? I.E sister to your ancestor Thomas Ivy? If it is I have her in 1841, in Bethnal Green, so can confirm not same woman.

Comment

hyer Richard I was having problems sorting out who was who seemed odd her name was Ann Maria Jones too, glad you can confirm it isn't ours thanks. hope your research is going well, did you ever find her Husband Jame's death ??? is he the one buried in 1840??

Comment

Hi Val

This is Ann in 1841

1841 Census: South Conduit Street, Bethnal Green, Tower Hamlets

Ann Jones, 50, Weaveress, Middlesex
                  James Jones, 25, Weaver, Middlesex
                  Caroline Jones, 20, Weaver, Middlesex
                  Joseph Jones, 15, Middlesex
                  Eliza Jones, 15, Middlesex
                  Maria Jones, 10, Middlesex
                  Charles Jones, 9, Middlesex
                  Ann Jones, 5, Middlesex
                  Charles Ivy, 45, Painter, Middlesex
                  Leonard Bellenger, 50, Weaver Middlesex

Charles Ivy is of course her and Thomas Jason's younger brother. Leonard Bellenger is her eldest daughter Mary Jones/Bellenger's brother in law.

Since James died between the last daughters birth 1835 and the 1841 census I'm pretty sure that the 1840 burial at St Matthews, Bethnal Green would be his "James Jones, of South Conduit Street, aged 52, buried November 8th 1840" Adress matches theirs for 1841 and 1851.

I have Ann's death certificate too if you need this. She died 28 Sep 1866 at 78 Seabright Street, Bethnal Green, Middlesex. This was the home of her daughter Caroline Abigail Jones/Godier (1820-1901)

Still working on the Ivy's though finding it all but impossible to prove exact links any further back than 1700 or so. They were certainly in Shoreditch throughout the 1600's, but the surviving records for them are a bit like a jigsaw with one too many pieces missing!

Comment

Thanks Richard I did find that census last night, finally think I have found James's Death reg in Dec 1840 Bethnal Green Vol 2 page 4

Comment

I think I am too late with this reply but just in case it helps anyone. Yes there were private 'sanitorium' 'asylums'. If anyone is interested take a look at Holloway Sanitorium, Egham, Surrey. I am afraid I cannot copy a link but if you put Holloway Sanitorium Egham in your search engine it will come up.

The Priory is nothing new.
                      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks Bubblebelle shall keep this in mind

Comment

Working...
                        X