This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WILL of Godfrey TALLENTS of Newark upon Trent 1877 [Resolved]

I have in my possession a will of the above, Godfrey Tallents and also a few other papers (indentures?) & title deeds to a Property, he lived in Newark upon Trent, Nottinghamshire and left a widow Laura Eliza Tallents and their sons William Edward Tallents and Godfrey Tallents jr.

I am willing and able to pass it on to any surviving family members.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

There's a tree on GR with a William Tallents in it - no dates or location but I have sent a message pointing the owner to this thread in case he is connected. It is quite an unusual name so fingers crossed.
    Margaret

Comment

Oh, my, Julie -
      What era? I wish I had my ancestor's apprenticeship & freedom papers.

Comment

I know there are quite a lot of documents at Nottingham Archives relating to the Tallents family of Newark who were solicitors, I believe. Just had a quick look at the A2A site and there are references to a Godfrey, held, at Lincs Archives too.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

There's a tree on GR with a William Tallents in it - no dates or location but I have sent a message pointing the owner to this thread in case he is connected. It is quite an unusual name so fingers crossed.
          Margaret
          thank you Margaret, I don't subscribe to GR anymore, so it is appreciated.

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          Oh, my, Julie -
          What era? I wish I had my ancestor's apprenticeship & freedom papers.
          these are dated 1899, Sarah. (Not totally sure what they are all about if I'm honest!)

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
          I know there are quite a lot of documents at Nottingham Archives relating to the Tallents family of Newark who were solicitors, I believe. Just had a quick look at the A2A site and there are references to a Godfrey, held, at Lincs Archives too.
          Yes, I do believe that they were solicitors (and are still in business nowdays too) though it doesnt look like there are any Tallents that are in the partnership.
          Julie

Comment

The contact on GR replied and said he was going to have a look at this thread as I sent the link to him. Lets see if he says anything and/or mackes contact.
            margaret

Comment

Ok thanks Margaret, very much appreciated :smilee:
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                I have in my possession a will of the above, Godfrey Tallents and also a few other papers (indentures?) & title deeds to a Property, he lived in Newark upon Trent, Nottinghamshire and left a widow Laura Eliza Tallents and their sons William Edward Tallents and Godfrey Tallents jr.

I am willing and able to pass it on to any surviving family members.
                I have just spotted this thread whilst researching something else for my firm, Tallents Solicitors in Newark upon Trent. Godfrey Tallents was part of a long line of Tallents who owned and ran this firm right up to the 1960's. I accept that you posted this several years ago, Julie, but wondered if the papers were still available. We do still act for John Tallents, who is the great (or possibly great-great) grandson of Godfrey Tallents. I also hold the firm's archive. Most of our client papers from 1774 to around 1950 have been catalogued in either the County Archive or in the Tallents Collection at Nottingham University, but I am uncovering more documents all of the time.

Are the papers still in your possession?

Alistair Millar
                Partner
                Tallents Solicitors

Comment

Hello Alistair

Yes I do still have the documents and it would be lovely to pass them on to a family member or possibly the firms archive.
                  Julie

Comment

Isn't it great: the way that an old post can get picked up to get such a positive outcome!

C
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      Isn't it great: the way that an old post can get picked up to get such a positive outcome!

C
                      Certainly is Christine x
                      Julie

Comment

Alistair I have sent you a private message.
                        Julie

Comment

Hand delivered this morning.
                          Julie

Comment

How lovely Julie So that's where you were off to Has it gone to a descendant or the company?
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              How lovely Julie So that's where you were off to Has it gone to a descendant or the company?
                              It's gone to the company, but a descendant still has dealings with the company Chris, and he keeps copies of all the documents that goes in to the firms own archive.
                              Julie

Comment

Thank you so much, Julie. This is a brilliant 'find'. I'm quite excited to see it when I get into the office in the morning.

Thank you again

Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by alistairmillar View Post
                                  Thank you so much, Julie. This is a brilliant 'find'. I'm quite excited to see it when I get into the office in the morning.

Thank you again

Alistair
                                  you are most welcome Alistair, I do hope that you haven't already got copies of these documents!

[hopefully you haven't] and have had a whale of a time looking over them today
                                  Julie

Comment

Working...
                                  X